What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 912iS Cost

Wow! Vans recently posted engine price for the 912iS. I can buy a 912iS from Rotax for around $29k....is the rest of the Firewall-Forward assembly that expensive? Anyone know the inside story on this?

Let's see.... prop, hoses, muffler, baffles/heat shields, hoses, throttle cable, engine mount pieces, radiator, more hoses, oil cooler, shipping charges..... I never tried to add up all the a la carte prices; maybe someone else has. I wanted to have all the parts on hand when it was engine time.

I just started building section 21, so still a way to go for me until I arrive at the engine. But isn’t it possible to buy just the firewall forward kit without engine? I’m just asking, because a used engine was always one of the options I considered, at least in my head, as a spot where I could save some money.
If I am right, it wouldn’t matter from whom you buy the actual engine block.

I just started building section 21, so still a way to go for me until I arrive at the engine. But isn’t it possible to buy just the firewall forward kit without engine? I’m just asking, because a used engine was always one of the options I considered, at least in my head, as a spot where I could save some money.
If I am right, it wouldn’t matter from whom you buy the actual engine block.
If you are building as amateur-built, you may go this route. If you are planning E-LSA, ALL components must be purchased from the kit manufacturer.

That's the only they can issue the 8130-15 (Light-Sport Statement of Compliance).

Never mind. Just noticed you're in Germany. U.S. regs don't apply.

I’m in Canada planning to do the same thing. I need to make another call to Van’s to determine if the 12iS uses a ROTAX standard engine mount and exhaust or will I need theirs.

I’m in Canada planning to do the same thing. I need to make another call to Van’s to determine if the 12iS uses a ROTAX standard engine mount and exhaust or will I need theirs.
I think, that the Rotax engines are supplied with the "Ring Mount" installed that already has the vibration dampeners included, then you hard mount that ring mount to the firewall with an engine specific bracket.

I think, that the Rotax engines are supplied with the "Ring Mount" installed that already has the vibration dampeners included, then you hard mount that ring mount to the firewall with an engine specific bracket.
The powerplant kit as supplied from Van's includes an RV-12 specific engine mount (which the builder installs) and exhaust system.
The Rotax brand parts are not used (with the exception of the muffler, which gets a custom system built around it).

The powerplant kit as supplied from Van's includes an RV-12 specific engine mount (which the builder installs) and exhaust system.
The Rotax brand parts are not used (with the exception of the muffler, which gets a custom system built around it).
Thanks Scott! The muffler was the other question I had.

Back