What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivets in rear spar bulkhead

czechsix

Well Known Member
There are a couple holes in the middle of the rear spar carry-through bulkhead (F-01405) that are shown as 'do not rivet' on p. 26-08. On p. 26-09, it shows attaching the Idler Bracket Assy, which is secured via rivets in the surrounding four holes, but the two in the very middle appear to remain unused (and it isn't possible to buck these rivets later, so they would remain unused unless a couple pop rivets were inserted from the front side of the bulkhead). Wondering if this is an error in the plans or if there's somewhere later in the project where these two holes get used? There are even a couple notches cut out in the Idler Bracket Assy which appear to allow room for a rivet head for these two holes, so it seems Van's intended for them to be used and maybe just forgot to specify rivets in the plans?

Attachments

• Idler Bracket Assy Rivets.png
    Idler Bracket Assy Rivets.png
    910.5 KB · Views: 126
I followed the plans and did not install rivets there. I’m on the last part of section 38 and haven’t come across any use for those unused holes. TBH, I also did not put as much thought in to it as you did. You may be right that there should/could be rivets there.

Back