What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting VS root rib rib, nose rib, and forward spar

ampylot

I'm New Here
I am getting started on the final assembly of the vertical stabilizer and have hit my first snag.

Riveting VS-705, VS-704, and VS-702, I'm having trouble getting my hand squeezer to sit on the rivet cleanly without either deflecting the nose rib or creating a smiley on the manufactured head of the rivet. If the squeezer deflects the nose rib, the flange no longer sits flush on the forward spar, and I don't think the rivet is going to set correctly.

The simplest solution to me would be to bend the back flange of VS-705 to get more clearance and then gently bend it back into place after setting the rivets. Would this be ok, or am I work hardening the aluminum too much if I do that?

Alternatively, I could look at getting a squeezer that would accept the thin-nosed yoke that I've been using on my pneumatic squeezer, but I'd rather use the squeezer I have if possible.

I'm well aware that I may be overthinking this, but looking for advice.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4838.jpeg
    IMG_4838.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4840.jpeg
    IMG_4840.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
He who dies with the most tools wins!
If you have a yoke on your pneumatic squeezer that works is there any reason you aren’t using that? Personally I would not be bending the flange and in fact would be using a Flange-nose yoke to avoid damaging the flange.

The body of the pneumatic squeezer makes it really awkward to get into this spot, and I'd have to have the die for the manufactured head on the ram side. It seems like the odds of me getting everything lined up correctly for a clean squeeze are pretty low with the pneumatic squeezer.

I was thinking about picking up a Main Squeeze, but it just seems redundant when I have a really nice ATS stainless squeezer.

I started my build with two yokes. The "standard" 3" yoke and a flange nose. I then found a need for the 4" thin nose yoke. A couple months later I needed a short 2" yoke. So, I now have four yokes and I suspect I'll have five before long. I also started with the pneumatic squeezer and later bought the Main Squeeze. My rule is pretty simple - if I need a specific tool to do the job correctly, I buy it. I'm not fixing a lawn mower. I'm building an airplane. Using the right tools matters.

The body of the pneumatic squeezer makes it really awkward to get into this spot, and I'd have to have the die for the manufactured head on the ram side. It seems like the odds of me getting everything lined up correctly for a clean squeeze are pretty low with the pneumatic squeezer.

I was thinking about picking up a Main Squeeze, but it just seems redundant when I have a really nice ATS stainless squeezer.
It’s nice to have 2, 3 or 4 squeezers on hand.. leave different yokes in each so you don’t have to change yokes each job.. after you are done building, sell the tools and break even! (Especially if you bought second hand tools in the first place) I bought my first squeezer.. a Tatco, new.. then found several more on EBay.. I have three Tatcos, and two pneumatic squeezers.. if only I can get back to building, having too much fun flying my -4 along with other RVs!!

Last edited:
Looks like a good application for a rivet gun and a bucking bar. And a good introduction to the fine art of bucking rivets, which you will need soon on the skins.

I ended up flexing the flange a bit with it clecoed in, to get the squeeze done then nudge the rib back to position if it's out.

Back