What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Returning Oil to the Crankcase from an Air/Oil Separator

penguin

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm trying to figure out how to return the oil from an air/oil separator to the crankcase.
Currently I have no separator and a continually dirty belly.
One of these is about to be fitted to correct that problem, as recommended by Dan H of this parish.
To return the separated oil to the crankcase in a previous aircraft I tapped the dipstick tube, but that leaked, and then fitted an Antisplat oil return tube.
That is an option but I have seen (somewhere) a suggestion to install a pipe adapter into the port on the side of the governor pad, the plug is no 23 in attached picture.
That seems like a more straight forward idea, does anyone know of a reason not to use this port?
Pete

Attachments

• Accessory case port.jpg
    Accessory case port.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 89
That port will work fine, if you want to drain the separator back into the engine.
Merry Christmas, Mahlon

One of these is about to be fitted to correct that problem, as recommended by Dan H of this parish.

I like a separator, but I know nothing about that particular separator. I welded up my own. Tip: source an aluminum AC dryer can from the auto junkyard. Perfect size and shape, good weldable alloy.

Yes, use port #23.

I have been using the port #23 in your diagram as the return for my oil separator since day one. My RV-6 has been flying 26-years and there is just short of 3,600 hours on the airplane.

Last edited:
You can also tap into one of the rocker box oil return lines and put the oil in there.

I have been using the port #23 in your diagram as the return for my oil separator since day one. My RV-6 has been flying 26-years and there is just short of 3,600 hours on the airplane.

Seems like a simple system, does this drain the oil purely due to gravity? Any issues with gentlemen aerobatics (can the oil flow back out of the sump?).
Figs

Seems like a simple system, does this drain the oil purely due to gravity? Any issues with gentlemen aerobatics (can the oil flow back out of the sump?).
Figs

Gravity.

No issue with gentleman aerobatics. Sustained negative "G" would flow oil out the sump thought the breather as the highest point in positive "G" would become lowest point in negative "G".

The reason that I used this port was the engine I used in my RV had a WET Vacuum pump when I got it and that is the location the oil from the vacuum pump was returned to the sump.

Last edited:
I also used that return

Depending on your engine age and accessibility, you will find that plug moderately difficult to remove. On mine, I broke two hex sockets and twisted the heck out of the final one to unloosen it. I tried heat gun. No joy. Because the plug is steel and the engine is aluminum, use a torch to heat the engine area, not the plug. That worked.
FP18112013A0000U.jpg

another option if the 'normal' plugs are in use, hard to access, or not there at all is an adapter sold by RMJ Aero (spruce #8-00577) that taps into the oil filler tube for the return. I have used it successfully a couple of times.

We have that from an Andair separator, drains back through that port.

Good to see Mahlon on the forum - Hi M !!!

Back