What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Redoing sealant on upper firewall assembly

Eriselle

Hi there, I am working on an unfortunate project and I'm trying to figure out how far I need to go with it. The airplane is an RV-12 Legacy, SLSA factory built by Synergy Air back in 2016.

I recently was experiencing some avionics issues and needed to access the avionics bay to make the required repairs. When I attempted to remove the avionics bay cover (F-1240 Skin), I found that it had been bonded to the F-1201H Upper Fwd Fuse Doubler and F-1202H-L & R Canopy Ribs with RTV black. The KAI instructions 29A-06 step 8 call for a release agent such as Boelube to be used to prevent the F-1240 Skin from bonding- because the RTV is only supposed to create a gasket, not permanently attach the skin. It took about 18 hours of labor to carefully separate the F-1240 Skin from the F-1201H doubler and F-1202H-L & R ribs. After that, it took another 10 hours to clean up all the RTV from both mating surfaces.

Unfortunately, this all had a secondary consequence. The RTV black was bonded to the fuel tank sealant used on the perimeter of the F-1201A Firewall Upper assembly (see KAI 29A-03 step 7). From the looks of it, the fuel tank sealant and the RTV black mutually cured to each other, there was no clean break between them. As a result, it was not possible to remove the RTV without also removing fuel tank sealant. The removal of the RTV was done with a combination of manual effort with plastic razor blades and the usage of Digesil NC depolymerizer, which is designed to chemically break down RTV silicones. As pro-seal fuel tank sealant is also a kind of RTV polymer AFAIK (polysulfite, different chemically to RTV black AFAIK), the depolymerizer was also somewhat active on it, although it didn't do much to it. I'm not sure if there would be any long lasting effects to this exposure had I chosen to keep that fuel tank sealant, but I decided I do not want to find out the hard way that it is weakened, and chose to remove it as well. The fuel tank sealant is now damaged by partial removal and needs to be redone. Some googling suggested that Polygone will do a better job on the pro-seal than the Digesil NC, so I'm going to try that to finish up the cleanup.

It is not possible to fully remove the old sealant without drilling out rivets to separate the parts that the sealant is applied to. This is because it is wedged into and spread between mating surfaces. I can manually remove most of it, but it's far from perfect without disassembling riveted assemblies.

This leaves me with a couple of questions.

First, will pro-seal fuel tank sealant bond to already-cured older pro-seal fuel tank sealant? If the answer to this is yes, then it is at least possible that I can avoid removing rivets by just running new fillets over the old ones that I've mostly gouged and scraped out with a plastic razor blade. I may decide this is unacceptable anyway though due to the exposure of most of the seal to depolymerizer, which may have unknown impact on the sealant. It also may not really be possible to clean the fragmented pro-seal enough to be a reasonable bonding surface, even if the material itself clean would support a bond.

Do you think I can get this back to a watertight seal all the way around without doing a major disassembly of the upper firewall assembly? I'm very concerned that it will lose strength by being reworked, and the scope of how many parts I'd have to disassemble, redo the sealant on, and reassemble, is pretty daunting. Rivet holes stretch, dimples crack, drill bits slip, there's just so much that could go wrong here the more I muck with it. But I'm not sure I really have a good alternative at this point.

Small vent: I'm really upset that this wasn't done correctly by the factory. They saved some time I guess, but it really created an unnecessary mess for me to deal with here.

Last edited:
I believe this was done correctly by the factory because I followed the instructions and put Boelube on the skin covering the avionics. When I took it off to install the avionics it all tore apart. Boelube acted like it did nothing.

I have since read it seems to be best to use motor oil on the skin and that prevents the RTV from sticking. I don’t plan on cleaning all of the old stuff off mine. I’m going to wipe motor oil on the underside of the skin over the dried RTV and run a small bead of the RTV on the flange over the existing RTV. If I ever have to take it off in the future after it has been inspected I may put some type of foam weatherstripping instead of the RTV. Haven’t thought that far ahead.

Hi there, I am working on an unfortunate project and I'm trying to figure out how far I need to go with it. The airplane is an RV-12 Legacy, SLSA factory built by Synergy Air back in 2016.

I recently was experiencing some avionics issues and needed to access the avionics bay to make the required repairs. When I attempted to remove the avionics bay cover (F-1240 Skin), I found that it had been bonded to the F-1201H Upper Fwd Fuse Doubler and F-1202H-L & R Canopy Ribs with RTV black. The KAI instructions 29A-06 step 8 call for a release agent such as Boelube to be used to prevent the F-1240 Skin from bonding- because the RTV is only supposed to create a gasket, not permanently attach the skin. It took about 18 hours of labor to carefully separate the F-1240 Skin from the F-1201H doubler and F-1202H-L & R ribs. After that, it took another 10 hours to clean up all the RTV from both mating surfaces.

Unfortunately, this all had a secondary consequence. The RTV black was bonded to the fuel tank sealant used on the perimeter of the F-1201A Firewall Upper assembly (see KAI 29A-03 step 7). From the looks of it, the fuel tank sealant and the RTV black mutually cured to each other, there was no clean break between them. As a result, it was not possible to remove the RTV without also removing fuel tank sealant. The removal of the RTV was done with a combination of manual effort with plastic razor blades and the usage of Digesil NC depolymerizer, which is designed to chemically break down RTV silicones. As pro-seal fuel tank sealant is also a kind of RTV polymer AFAIK (polysulfite, different chemically to RTV black AFAIK), the depolymerizer was also somewhat active on it, although it didn't do much to it. I'm not sure if there would be any long lasting effects to this exposure had I chosen to keep that fuel tank sealant, but I decided I do not want to find out the hard way that it is weakened, and chose to remove it as well. The fuel tank sealant is now damaged by partial removal and needs to be redone. Some googling suggested that Polygone will do a better job on the pro-seal than the Digesil NC, so I'm going to try that to finish up the cleanup.

It is not possible to fully remove the old sealant without drilling out rivets to separate the parts that the sealant is applied to. This is because it is wedged into and spread between mating surfaces. I can manually remove most of it, but it's far from perfect without disassembling riveted assemblies.

First, will pro-seal fuel tank sealant bond to already-cured older pro-seal fuel tank sealant? If the answer to this is yes, then it is at least possible that I can avoid removing rivets by just running new fillets over the old ones that I've mostly gouged and scraped out with a plastic razor blade. I may decide this is unacceptable anyway though due to the exposure of most of the seal to depolymerizer, which may have unknown impact on the sealant. It also may not really be possible to clean the fragmented pro-seal enough to be a reasonable bonding surface, even if the material itself clean would support a bond.

Do you think I can get this back to a watertight seal all the way around without doing a major disassembly of the upper firewall assembly? I'm very concerned that it will lose strength by being reworked, and the scope of how many parts I'd have to disassemble, redo the sealant on, and reassemble, is pretty daunting. Rivet holes stretch, dimples crack, drill bits slip, there's just so much that could go wrong here the more I muck with it. But I'm not sure I really have a good alternative at this point.

Small vent: I'm really upset that this wasn't done correctly by the factory. They saved some time I guess, but it really created an unnecessary mess for me to deal with here.
Yes, new tank sealant will bond well to previously cured sealant if is clean.
I can’t say what the performance will be if the sealant has any contamination from something silicone based though.

I am testing using wax paper as a release agent until the artv cures. So far it looks promising.

As far as scrapers go look at 3m sealant cutters and 3m radial Bristle Disks. You are working too hard. The right tools make the job way easier.

both these products have RPM limitations. The rotary cutter is less finicky. The radial tool will self destruct at higher RPM ‘s.

I sealed that panel a couple of weeks ago. Someone's build site recommended Rexco Partall Paste as a release agent. I applied 5 coats and it worked perfectly. Was $19 on Amazon.

I sealed that panel a couple of weeks ago. Someone's build site recommended Rexco Partall Paste as a release agent. I applied 5 coats and it worked perfectly. Was $19 on Amazon.
Getting a mold to release it's casting or getting something to not stick is a real easy to do. you can buy mold release agents by the can, bucket etc.
But if you have any regular paste wax it works wonders. Couple dried coats and you are good to go. I have been using Carnauba floor wax for years and with good results
You don't have to spend lots of money as you probably have some car wax in the cupboard you haven't put on the car like your wife thinks you should. Ha Ha
But my luck varies Fixit

Following up on this discussion. The 3M rotary cutters are amazing. I bought a Pan American Air Tools motor Part#90-035 (standard size Nova lineup, low 900 RPM, high torque), a couple of attachments of different shapes to be able to reach some tight spots, and a bag of both sizes of the 3M cutting heads, and it made short work of the bulk of the sealant removal. I then followed up with using Digesil NC on any surface that had residual RTV silicone black, and Polygon 310-AG on any surface that had residual Pro-Seal. These two depolymerizers worked wonderfully, respectively, and left me with mostly clean surfaces. For the grooves where two surfaces have sealant between, I used plastic razor blades to scrape out as much as I could.

After all of this cleanup, I cleaned all affected surfaces with some mild aircraft cleaner (I use Aero Cosmetics Wash All, but the brand isn't important), and then rinsed all affected surfaces with clean water, protecting all the electronics with masking, towels, plastic covering, etc, to keep water from getting on the avionics bay innards.

Once clean, I applied Flamemaster CS3204 B2 according to the KAI. It did not seem to have any problems bonding to the metal nor to the traces of old sealant that remained in some spots where it was not possible to fully clean it up without taking out rivets. I'll know for sure the coming weekend how it came out, but so far, everything seems to be really good.

Thank you again for the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_5623.jpeg
    IMG_5623.jpeg
    658.1 KB · Views: 12
I tried the Rexco Partall based on your recommendation, and it works really well, reliably. I absolutely second your recommendation.

Back