What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rebuilding LCP Ailerons in RV14

ben barron

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a flying RV14 and received my wing parts 3-7-22. Because Service Letter 00091 indicates many of the Aileron RED (replacement recommended) parts are NOT inspectable I am planning to build 2 new Ailerons so I can just swap them out. Is anyone else contemplating doing this? Have you generated a Aileron only parts list you might share?

When I rebuilt an elevator I just went through the plans and made a list, minus anything I would re-use (and of course missed a couple of things along the way - fortunately for me that was during the "order today - ship this week" era of Van's). Seems like a logical plan would be to make a thread with spreadsheet part lists for various assemblies to reduce the amount of re-work!

Vans Support should be able to generate a bill of materials for an aileron and then you can decide what needs to be ordered. They generated this type of hierarchical list for me for the entire engine mount and nose gear assembly.

We screwed up an aileron and rebuilt it. I ordered the parts from the plans/instructions and it was pretty easy to do.

P.S. Do you have reasonable suspicion that the spars were LCP and are cracking? If not, you should consider a deep inspection before you go through all this effort.

We screwed up an aileron and rebuilt it. I ordered the parts from the plans/instructions and it was pretty easy to do.

P.S. Do you have reasonable suspicion that the spars were LCP and are cracking? If not, you should consider a deep inspection before you go through all this effort.

Inspecting the aileron is nearly impossible. You would have to drill a hole in the nose rib at both ends, insert your borescope, go through one of the holes in the spar, turn your scope around to look forward and inspect the dimples for the spar to skins rivets.

I'm just waiting to see what solution Van's comes up with.

IMG_1313.jpg

Have you considered just drilling out a few TE and end-rib rivets along the corners and putting a borescope up there?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-08 160015.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-08 160015.png
    821.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I’m quite sure Van’s has RV-14 aileron kits( ie a list already for each aileron. I was looking to replace an aileron a while back and found a kit with all the parts needed. Never did order it.

Inspecting the aileron is nearly impossible. You would have to drill a hole in the nose rib at both ends, insert your borescope, go through one of the holes in the spar, turn your scope around to look forward and inspect the dimples for the spar to skins rivets.

I'm just waiting to see what solution Van's comes up with.

View attachment 52220

I think YOU just came up with their solution. :)

Back