What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question On Alternator Field Wire....

Reflex

Well Known Member
All,

I'm working through the FWF wiring and have a question about putting a break in the field wire. Translation: I'd like to run the field wire into a Deutsch connector and run from the Deutsch to the regulator. In fact, I'd like to run both the primary and backup alternators into a two conductor Deutsch connector.

My questions is, is it a problem to have a connector/break in the field wire(s)?

Why? Problems/replacement of an alternator are a "when" not "if" situation. Being able to unplug the alternator(s) forward of the firewall is appetizing. While a single unbroken line back to the voltage regulator would be nice, I don't like the idea of having to pull and reinstall the field wire through a fireproof sleeve full of RTV.

Yes, I could just clip the wire somewhere forward of the firewall when the time comes, but then I'd run into the same question.

Thanks,

Fred

While I don’t see a problem with what you sugges from an electrical point of view, in reality there’s no need.
If you need to replace the alternator, you just unplug the field wire and disconnect the B lead. Then reinstall. Easily done in the field with no electrical work required.
I don’t see why you would want to put another connector in line and/or remove the alternator with any parts of the B lead or field wire attached.
I also think it’s adding an unnecessary point of failure in a harsh environment.

FWIW I’ve installed 5 B&C alternators over 20y, 3 aircraft and thousands of hours with nil failures of any kind.

What type of alternator/alternator connections do you have? Mine has a plug and terminal on the alternator that allows it to be removed without cutting any wires.

I don't think there is any problem with what you are proposing to do but people will say that every connection is a point of potential failure.

The field and the output have connections on the back of the alternator - no need for another point of failure to be installed.

Always minimize the number of breaks and connections in your wiring. They just add another potential failure point.

In this particular case, it is not needed as both wires are easily disconnected at the alternator.

Vic

Gentlemen,

Excellent points. I'll take your advice and install without a break.

Thanks for your input.

Fred

Back