What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question for people with recent Kit Will Call experience

Dwillows

Sponsor
A newby, my first post, my first kit RV12iS to be crated within a month. I am planning on driving to Aurora with a trailer to pick up the emp kit when it is crated. How does this usually go... How much advance notice will I receive that the kit will be ready for pick up? How much lee-way do I have to get there to fetch it? I ask these things because I intend to go to Oshkosh AV this year, and am concerned that the kit may be ready during Air Venture, preventing me from being able to go get the kit promptly. What can you tell me? Thanks very much.

RV12iS kits ordered July 1, 2023
TWTT Glasair Sportsman

Have you called and discussed this with Vans? Seems like they should be able to answer your question easily, maybe work arrangements for pickup with you.

When crating starts, you will get notified. At that point, pay what you need to pay, then call the shipping team to arrange the actual date of pickup. In one case I asked Van's if they could have it ready by the following Monday (less than a week in advance). In another case I asked if I could pick it up a few weeks later. Both cases seemed to be no problem at all for them.

They will fork-lift it into your container, then it's up to you to secure it.

Notice

I received a months notice for my finish kit. The week it was planned to be ready I could not pick it up. Vans nicely held it to the following week when I could.

On the date I arrived they had me pull through the security gate to the back area. They put the crate on the trailer where I asked for it be placed. As an earlier post stated it was my responsibility to secure the load.

They will be on reduced staff during Oshkosh as well.

I made the final payment for my wing kit on May 1st. I was notified it was ready to pick up on May 26th. I picked it up on May 30th. I asked Vans how long I could wait to pick it up (I was just curious for later kits) and they said I could wait 2-3 weeks no problem. Just let them know what your plans are.

BTW, as you face the office, the gate you will drive through to get to the back for your pick up is on the left side. The office staff will give you a gate code. Everybody we talked to while we were there were super nice.

Thank you gents! Sounds like a non-issue, and I will get in touch with Vans for a specific date that works for both of us. Your speedy response was much appreciated.

Back