What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PSA: Yaw Damper Attach Bracket

Phil Sprang

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Learning is occurring here. I thought I’d share to prevent someone going down this rocky road.

Way back during the build of my empennage, I thought I’d be smart and rivet the yaw damper bracket (F-14189B) to the frame (F-01407R & L), while I could get easy access.

Fast forward and it is time to install the CS-00002 middle pushrod. It loads from the back. There is no way to get it in position as it hits the yaw damper bracket.

It is not a huge deal to drill out the four rivets holding the yaw damper bracket as I’m on a rotisserie and could easily position the airframe. However, think about future maintainance needs. In the off chance you need to remove CS-00002 with the yaw damper bracket attached, you can’t without drilling rivets.

I’m likely to re-install the yaw damper bracket with mechanical fasteners, slightly upsized from 4-5 rivets.

Excerpt from Section 58 attached

Attachments

• IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I did exactly as you did and somehow managed to install the pushrod without removing the bracket. May want to look again.

Bill

Back