What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Providence area info wanted

Veetail88

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

I have a couple of days of training I have to attend in Cranston, RI June 1st and 2nd.

My wife and I are planning on flying out a day earlier (Saturday) so we can spend Sunday island hopping or something.

Looking for an airport recommendation along with any "must see" things around there. I thought we'd land on Martha's Vineyard just to say we'd done it and maybe Nantucket. Assuming there's a seafood resturaunt or two around there we could visit. Looking for things in easy walking distance from airports.

Also, I'll need a place to tie down/hanger the airplane.

With zero experience flying around there, any advise/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

RI

Hi Jesse. I live in Newport Ri. My advise is check out the Islands
And Newport. Nantucket, Martha's Vinyard, Block Island. Katama
On the Vinyard is an outstanding grass strip on the beach with a great resteraunt on the field. A short walk across the street for a dollar fare bus ride
Island wide. Nantucket requires a cab ride downtown to some great places to see and eat. Block Island a favorite, has a great resteraunt on the field and a short cab ride down town. Newport will require a cab ride to down town area. Nice spot to see. Take a tour around Ocean Drive. The color of the water is emerald green this time of year and very spectacular. For your commute to Cranston. Providence PVD is the closest airport. If you don't want to stay around Providence airport, stay in Newport and commute from KUUU. Feel free to call
401-862-5577 and I'll give you the full run down.

Hi Jesse, Al has covered it pretty well. If you're looking for a smaller airport than PVD that isn't much further from Cranston, try KSFZ (uncontrolled) or KOQU (Part time.Class D) where Al and I are based. Hangar space is very tough to come by around here, the state has a large hangar at KOQU you can get into but it isn't cheap. Check the FBO for pricing at (401) 295-5020.

If you come a day early there is a pretty good airshow May 30&31 at KOQU with the Blue Angels and Snowbirds. Www.riairshow.org. Be aware they close the airport to GA arrivals and departures.from something like 10am-5pm both days, check notams. There is also a large TFR in effect when the Blue Angels perform so heads up on that. If I had room in my hangar I'd put you in there but I am full.

If you're looking for another cool airport to land at try Fishers Island NY. Very small field, intersecting runways, no services, walk a mile into town for an ice cream. Not much else there but all of the approaches are over water and short so it's fun. Katama would be my 1st choice if I were you. Provincetown at the tip of Cape Cod is also a cool place to go, also requires taxi into town. This whole area is a gorgeous place to explore by RV, makes everything hard to get to easily accessible.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help with anything else.

Thanks for the info guys!

Turns out my wife may have to cancel due to a work commitment on the 3rd.:(

I'm sure gonna miss her on the trip! :p

Back