What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Guard adhesive removal

Vansconvert

Well Known Member
I am going to replace the deteriorating prop guard film on my metal Hartzell with a new one. Has anyone done this and if so what did you use to clean the old adhesive off?

I am going to replace the deteriorating prop guard film on my metal Hartzell with a new one. Has anyone done this and if so what did you use to clean the old adhesive off?
I was removing old masking and duck tape from my canopy. It left a nasty adhesive mess that I had to clean up. Goo Gone was of little help so I tried out Aerokroil on a microfiber which worked quickly and very well. Cleaned the area afterwards with some Dawn dish soap and a clean water flush.

I was removing old masking and duck tape from my canopy. It left a nasty adhesive mess that I had to clean up. Goo Gone was of little help so I tried out Aerokroil on a microfiber which worked quickly and very well. Cleaned the area afterwards with some Dawn dish soap and a clean water flush.

Light use of a heat gun should take it right off. Just work slowly as you peel it back. Mine gets replaced every 1 1/2 to 2 years. Whatever small amount of adhesive gets left behind comes off easily with rubbing alcohol that won't hurt the prop paint. There's a nice video on the EAA website that covers the process.
Propeller Erosion Tape

Try any of unleaded gas, mineral spirit, orange degreaser or contact adhesive remover (known as Cleaner 191 where I live but might be different elsewhere). Soak the adhesive, it will become rubbery and peel off, might have to try again to remove any residue. Careful that whatever you choose doesn't harm the paint, don't use anything with acetone in it.

Back