What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Product calculator

wirejock

Well Known Member
I have a couple Excel spreadsheets I use to calulate products. One estimates quantities of epoxy for layups and paint products for spraying. Plug in dimensions, it calculates quantities of products needed. Saves waste.

The second sheet calculates the area inside and outside my 7A. Most parts primed are listed. Its not a 100% inventory but major components are calculated and rounded up. There are some tiny parts not listed, but pretty much everything on my 7A is calculated. I need to add pants and fairings.

Anyway...
Does anyone have any data on weight per ft² of any paint or primer?
I mean actual before, after, ft² and coats. Preferably one coat numbers. 2K epoxy and Urethane would be most interesting but P60G2 numbers would be helpful. I'm trying to validate the weight per ft² per coat of primers or paints so any actual before and after weights plus ft² is helpful. I'll weigh the next parts I paint so I have those figures but it will be quite a while.

Over the course of the build I weighed a few parts before and after P60G2 primer. There are enough samples to confirm my numbers are not anomalous. The odd thing is after all the calculations, the average weight gain is far less than expected. Not complaining. Just curious. Probably why Vans used it for so long. I hestitate to post the number because it's so low.

By the way, today I calculated weight for powder coat which is significant enough where builders should consider it carefully. 10 grams per ft². It's best to either order parts bare or have the previous powder coat removed.

More to come as data comes in. Who needs sleep anyway. :D

Last edited:
I’ve had a bunch of RVs weighed after paint. Your basic 3 color paint job, base plus 2 stripes, weighs 18-19 pounds.

Back