What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Powder coat weight

wirejock

Well Known Member
Here's another.
Powder Coat.
9.77 grams per ft².
Funny. That's lighter than primer/paint or vinyl.
It probably would be really difficult to powder coat all the skins on one side and certainly would cause temper problems, but it's still interesting.
Anyway, consider it when powder coating parts. Have them sandblasted or stripped before adding another layer. I actually ordered all my canopy weldments bare so they could be powder coated my color.
Before you get all judgey, the engine mount, gear towers and gear legs are still Vans color. I only changed the canopy.

Last edited:
I suspect the weight is heavily (sorry) dependent on the paint used and how thickly it's applied... For either process.

Powder coating the steel parts is a great idea, I painted my rudder pedal weldments using a rattle can when I removed them for the service bulletin, but I should have taken them for powder-coating... It would have been more durable. If I remove them again i'll remove the flap handle at the same time and take it in as well so they match. Come to think of it, I should do the pilot and co-pilot sticks, too. Ah, the slippery slope...

Powder coat

I suspect the weight is heavily (sorry) dependent on the paint used and how thickly it's applied... For either process.

Powder coating the steel parts is a great idea, I painted my rudder pedal weldments using a rattle can when I removed them for the service bulletin, but I should have taken them for powder-coating... It would have been more durable. If I remove them again i'll remove the flap handle at the same time and take it in as well so they match. Come to think of it, I should do the pilot and co-pilot sticks, too. Ah, the slippery slope...

Yep. I just posted the data for interest.
I did powder coat the sticks but only the section visible above the boot. I wanted the control white for crack visibility.

200 deg F is completely false. The annealing temperature for 2024 is around 400 deg C which is around 750 deg F. A dark color such as black can reach surface temperatures of over 250 deg F. Powder coating aluminum is completely safe.

Side note. I paint my “in the cockpit” powered coated parts with the same PPG single stage urethane paint as the rest of the interior. A light sand with 200 paper, then a dust coat of primer then the top coat.

Carl

Back