What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Portable 12 volt Power Supply

acpilot

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions on a cheap 12volt power supply to use during the build. I'm thinking for testing lights, electric motors, etc. Looking for something easier than hooking up a 12 volt battery every time. Thanks

I just went through this exercise recently, and ended up purchasing a power supply that I think is very good.

I had previously purchased a cheap power supply on Amazon for about $30. It was a Chinese made unit that worked, but I didn’t feel after using it, that it was capable of providing stable, protected power to my expensive avionics. After using it for a short time, the voltage adjustment pot failed, and I ended up soldering the pins that I assumed would give me 14+ volts. It only actually gave me about 13.4 volts, and still had me wondering on the stability/safety of the power it was supplying. I don’t have any evidence that it wasn’t working, but I just didn’t trust it. So I went searching.

The first place I looked was the White Lightning power supply - available at ACS and Sporty’s (near me). This is a rock solid unit that you can trust to supply stable, protected power to your airplane. I know John Sisk, owner of the company that makes this power supply. At $475 for the experimental version (certified version is more). There are several others that are much more expensive than the White Lightning. I decided to look further to see what was available. My research turned up a power supply made in Japan that is used by ham radio guys who need a 12v power supply for their bench mount, non-handheld ham radios. The one I decided on is the Alinco DM-330. It is a 30 amp (continuous), 12-15v, protected power supply. It is made in Japan, and I trust that. All of my favorite TV’s have been made in Japan, and I bought it from a ham radio shop near my airport that guarantees it. It was about $200 with tax here in Ohio. There are other ones available if you look, but this one works for me.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/alo-dm-330mvt?rrec=true

Good Luck with your search. I would caution you about buying cheap imitations. The one I bought is also available for a cheaper price - cloned - but made in China. It looks the same, but isn’t.

I bought a 0-30 volt, 0-30 amp power supply from Amazon for around $100 several years ago and found it very useful. Sorry, I don't have the brand/model handy. I hard wired a plug into the downstream side of the main contactor relay with the plug end up near the oil fill door. When I plug the power supply in, the whole aircraft is powered up with the battery offline. The digital ammeter is useful to see how much power each device is using. Also, I confirmed my B&C voltage regulator low power light is set properly: 14.3 V= no light. 13.1 volts = light is on , indicating alternator is off-line.

before you buy do your homework. one style of dc supply will be very ''noisy'', you can hear it in your fm radio like crazy. the other style is quiet.
fwiw i have a power supply out of a computer i converted and it is very ''loyd''.

I have purchased two of these and been happy with them overall: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WHJF1Q8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

One is in my vehicle to power my ham rig in the pickup bed from the truck's 110 VAC rear outlet (avoids long fat 12 VDC cabling from the battery to the rig) and one is mounted in the tail cone of my RV-10 adjacent to the battery with a 110 VAC power cable socket for use as avionics ground power/emergency charging. Both work quite well.

I briefly had one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LATMSGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but removed it from the truck after I realized how noisy it was. Loud slowly sweeping RF switching noise "growlers" every 30 kHz or so across the HF spectrum, and ferrites did not tame it in the least. The Mean Well supplies have a bit of this as well, but it's every 17 kHz or so and lower amplitude - I can only detect it up to about 8 MHz before it's below the atmospheric noise level, and doesn't bother me on 60 or 40 m SSB.

You get what you pay for, but some of these 35-dollar supplies will probably do what you need. The problem is the reviews are not relieable indicators of which ones are RF-noisy as most purchasers are using them to run LED decorative light strips where they don't know or care about the issue.

Does yours have the loud fan noise like this review has right out of the box? He replaced the fan and fixed it in another video).

I haven't noticed it to be particularly loud. But it's used in a hangar, usually with a fan running to keep the hangar a little cooler, or airplane noises in the background from normal airport activity. A ham guy using one in a small room (ham shack) probably would be more sensitive to noise......

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions on a cheap 12volt power supply to use during the build. I'm thinking for testing lights, electric motors, etc. Looking for something easier than hooking up a 12 volt battery every time. Thanks
Easier than hooking up a small battery? Not sure how it could be easier to hook up a power supply with the extension cords etc. you'll need when you can pick a small battery for about $20.

Just my opinion, but ground power isn't just for airliners ;)

There are these surprisingly light switching power supplies( S-120-12, S-150-12, S-180-12, etc) that weigh less than 1lb unless you start going above 180W. Also you can tweak its output voltage with a trim pot. I decided it was was worth the weight (still about 1lb total I think) as it invokes the following:
- Power Supply itself
- Shoreline Plug
- Isolation Relay
- Indicator Light
- A few wires

It does look better in real life, these pictures are like looking at your picture and zooming in on your pores :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• GroundPower.jpg
    GroundPower.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 53
  • PwrPanel.jpg
    PwrPanel.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 54
Got this one from Amazon to use while upgrading my avionics. 13.8 volts on the nose and even with everything on, the cooling fan never came on. 30 amp capacity will likely cover most every panel power needs. Got banana plug alligator clamp wires to use with it.

IMG_0029.jpeg

Last edited:
Back