What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pliobond and Fiberfrax

SeanB

Well Known Member
I recently read a Kitplanes article describing the installation of Fiberfrax and foil for the lower engine cowl. I am getting ready to do this myself, so studying now. It is suggested to use Pliobond contact cement to attach the Fiberfrax to the fiberglass cowl, then aluminum foil over both. I understand the whole process, but am not sure how much Pliobond should be applied for the Fiberfrax. Just along the edges so it stays in place enough until the foil is applied? Or, apply it to the entire area of Fiberfrax?

Thanks!

3M Spray Adhesive

I recently read a Kitplanes article describing the installation of Fiberfrax and foil for the lower engine cowl. I am getting ready to do this myself, so studying now. It is suggested to use Pliobond contact cement to attach the Fiberfrax to the fiberglass cowl, then aluminum foil over both. I understand the whole process, but am not sure how much Pliobond should be applied for the Fiberfrax. Just along the edges so it stays in place enough until the foil is applied? Or, apply it to the entire area of Fiberfrax?

Thanks!

I shot a light coat of 3M spray adhesive to one side of the Fiberfrax and immediately stuck it to the cowl. Worked very well!

Ron B.

Oh, to promote adhesion, make sure you finish the inside of the cowl.

IMG_4713.jpg

Firebarrier 2000

I used a little Firebarrier just to hold it till the foil was attached. I used .005" Titanium so it was a little thicker. The parts basically hold it on along with a dozen or so wide flange stainless pulled rivets.
Make sure the engine mount is touching bare firewall.

I layered things. A relatively narrow strip of fiberfrax, covered with foil. Then another relatively narrow strip of fiberfrax abutting the first one, again covered with foil, which extends out over the first strip. Lather, rinse, repeat until you have covered the area of need.

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I have sealed the inside of the cowling with PPG epoxy primer, two coats. Hoping to finish the outside of the cowl this weekend with PPG K36 primer (good-bye pink!), then I'll circle back to the fiberfrax/foil. Not much left to do, but fly!

Attachments

• lower cowl.jpg
    lower cowl.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 72
Back