What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Scratch Repair

Skid

Well Known Member
About every year or two I pull the sliding canopy off the airplane and clean the rollers and the track. The track seems to attract lots of dirt and grime which makes the slider not slide freely.

Recently when removing the sliding canopy to clean the rollers and track I lost my grip and dropped the canopy, UGH! :mad:
Luckily the canopy didn’t break but it left a nasty scratch on the side of the fuselage.

After consulting with someone who paints airplanes on exactly how to repair the scratch I decided to give a try. If I messed it up I could always take it in for repair.

To begin I cleaned the scratch with solvent.
I then applied multiple coats of paint directly on the scratch with a thin art brush, layering it to build up the thickness until the paint was proud of the surface.
Next I very carefully wet sanded just the raised paint to get it down to the height of the existing paint. I used 400 grit wet sand paper. I wrapped the sandpaper around the edge of a 1/4" piece of aluminum, a piece of wood would work as well.
I then wet sanded the area with 2000 grit wet sand paper.
After sanding I used an electric DA polisher; first with a paint cutting compound to remove the sanding marks, then finishing up with a polishing compound. It doesn’t take much polishing time with either compound.

The paint is SW Matterhorn White.

It turned out pretty well considering I have never done this before.

The pictures are of the scratch, after sanding with 2000 grit, and the finished repair

Attachments

• IMG_3958.jpeg
    IMG_3958.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3991.jpeg
    IMG_3991.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4005.jpeg
    IMG_4005.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
Thank you. My hangar neighbor couldn’t find the scratch after the repair, and he has a critical eye.

Nice job, Skid.

Here's some suggestions for the next fellow:

1. My fractured (several times) back gave me trouble removing the canopy solo. Here's what works for me. Slide the canopy all the way back, remove the screws that affix the rollers, Lift the front of the canopy and put a pillow between it and the top skin, slide the canopy further back until you can place another pillow under the rear slide as it clears. Now you can slide the canopy all the way back to the tail. It's much easier to lift off where the tail is skinnier, or you may wish to leave it rest on the tail while you work.

2. Use only dry lube on the rollers and tracks. Tri-Flow works for me.

3. If the worse happens, a nib file will cut off the new paint that's proud of the surface while leaving the surface unscratched (or almost). Sand from there, but you can start with a much finer grit. They are also useful for removing paint runs. They are about half the size of a computer mouse.
https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pr...uSQ0ax3NQQ-KdlVksRc8k2-aEIjcKaExoCi6YQAvD_BwE

3. If the worse happens, a nib file will cut off the new paint that's proud of the surface while leaving the surface unscratched (or almost). Sand from there, but you can start with a much finer grit. They are also useful for removing paint runs. They are about half the size of a computer mouse.
https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pr...uSQ0ax3NQQ-KdlVksRc8k2-aEIjcKaExoCi6YQAvD_BwE

A nib file. Huh. Never heard of that. Looks like the perfect tool for the job. That’s my pearl of wisdom for the week. Thanks!

Nice job, Skid.

Here's some suggestions for the next fellow:

1. My fractured (several times) back gave me trouble removing the canopy solo. Here's what works for me. Slide the canopy all the way back, remove the screws that affix the rollers, Lift the front of the canopy and put a pillow between it and the top skin, slide the canopy further back until you can place another pillow under the rear slide as it clears. Now you can slide the canopy all the way back to the tail. It's much easier to lift off where the tail is skinnier, or you may wish to leave it rest on the tail while you work.

2. Use only dry lube on the rollers and tracks. Tri-Flow works for me.

Thank you David.
1 - I have decided to get my hangar neighor to help lift the canopy off the airplane.
2 - I was using dry lube and it helped. I now use a very thin film of Boe lube paste, applied while I have the roller apart.
3 - I will check out the nib file, thanks.

Back