What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen EDS and regulator when not in use

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
Do most of the oxygen users remove the regulator and EDS when not using it?

I know the MH O2D2 manual suggest removing everything when not in use but I have seen a lot of planes where the oxygen regulator and at least the feed line are hooked up.

Inquiring minds would like to know ;)

Why?

Why would I remove all the stuff when not in use?

I just turn off the valve at the tank and turn off the metering thing-a-mug- gig. I sometime take off the cannable and put it ina plastic zip lock bag to keep it clean.

I don't see where it says to remove the regulator and EDS except maybe for storage as specified in the manual, but I may have missed it.

What I found was this:

"OXYGEN SYSTEM POST-FLIGHT
1. Turn off the EDS unit.
2. Close the oxygen cylinder valve (leaving the regulator pressurized when not in use can shorten service life).
3. Bleed the regulator and EDS inlet line (see BLEEDING THE REGULATOR, page 8).
4. Stow cannulas/facemasks/tubing to prevent contamination (see STORING THE EDS, page 20)."​

I leave everything in place but do bleed the regulator after a flight by closing the cylinder valve and then turning on the EDS system briefly to release the pressure in the line and then shutting it off. I stow the cannulas in plastic bags.

The real question is how many send the regulator and the pulse demand unit in every two years for service as recommended by Mountain High.

Last edited:
I leave everything installed in my RV3. Arguably, a person could remove it all and save a few pounds for fuel economy, but my 3 is a little chubby and so am I, so I figure that ship has already sailed. I like the convenience of always having it available… just last week, my standard lowland breakfast destination was socked in with fog along the nearby river. I ended up at 16,500’ headed to Steamboat for breakfast. You never know when you’ll need/want it!

I leave everything in place but do bleed the regulator after a flight by closing the cylinder valve and then turning on the EDS system briefly to release the pressure in the line and then shutting it off

Same here, and I even switch the EDS ON/OFF about 3 times until no more 02 is heard.

Mine is setup for a very easy setup and removal. I remove both the tank and O2D2 and install them only when I go for trips and expect to be needing O2.

Why haul the weight along each hamburger trip when there is no realistic need for using it.

I bought Mountain Highs transfill hose and bought the largest O2 bottle I could lift at the local welding store for about $360.
It’ll fill my airplane bottle almost full 6-7 times then it only fills it about 75% for several fills. It’s about $35 to exchange the large bottle for another full one.

Cost of oxygen

A group of us at the airpark have six bottles from the local gas shop, creating a shared charging station. The bottle cost ~$250, and we exchange the low bottle for $40. We have the bottles set up to charge from the low bottle first, working up to the high bottle as the top off. We swap out perhaps one bottle a year.

So, figure $80 a year for oxygen. I use it on all cross country flights over 8K’. I a have the A-682 (24.1 cu ft) cylinder from Mountain High.

Carl

Hi,

Anyone had a recent experience replenishing an oxygen tank? I would like to know what is a reasonable cost to fill it up.

I am filling mine for the first time and local FBO is asking US$600 for the service.

I was expecting to pay something close to US$100 tops…

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!!
$600 is of course absurd. In FL there must be tons of dive shops, who will do this for something like $30. You may have to buy an adaptor fitting.

So, just to be clear, this is called hijacking a thread...when a poster starts a new subject that has little or nothing to do with the original post. The problem is, the subject change usually kills the original question and nobody else responds to it. This thread may have been dead or it may not have but it's still frustrating for the OP.

The proper etiquette is to start a new thread.

Wow... sorry to frustrate you that much. I have always found a very supportive community spirit here and I just thought the topic was related... But don't worry. I deleted my post.

Wow... sorry to frustrate you that much. I have always found a very supportive community spirit here and I just thought the topic was related... But don't worry. I deleted my post.

I apologize, my point was valid but my approach was bad. Again , I apologize to all.

Edit: i hope my rude post will not spoil your experience here in the future

Last edited:
Back