What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old Odyssey batteries. What did you do with it?

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Well we all know the PC680 is dog water on the longevity scale. What did you guys do with your old ones? Turn em into a parts store? Rejuvenate them somehow? Or better yet, anyone make anything cool like a tug?

Well, if they are 2-3 years old send them to a fellow RV builder for a shipping cost to bench test their panel :)

PS Steve yours is almost ready to go your way... :D

Wow I have a pc625 that is just about on its 9th year of service, first in my friends RV8, he gave it to me as he flys IFR and replaces them regularly for safety, then I flew it for a couple years, then put it in my motorcycle, thing won't quit.

You can try to turn it in to a battery dealer for credit, but it's likely that they'll tell you "no way" unless you bought the new battery from them.

In the years than I've had the two PC680 batteries in my airplane, I've only had one die. It puffed, likely from overcharging, and I replaced it with a new PC680 that I bought from Amazon. That battery was almost 7 years old. Right now it's sitting in my hangar on its eventual way to it's final resting place. My plan is to anonymously leave it in the used battery cart that sits outside of Automotive at my local Fleet Farm, or just take it to the dump and pay to have it recycled.

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 60
When I converted to the EarthX battery I took my old PC680 and put it in the old lawn mower I occasionally use as an aircraft tug. Really turns that mower engine over quickly!

My last one lived in my plane for 7 years and then replaced the battery in my side by side - it’s on year 3 or 4 in the side by side. Still going strong and powers the winch fairly regularly.

Used battery

Check with local auto parts. Some of them will buy it or take it. Exactly why I bought a cheapo ACM. If it survives, I'll keep using it.

Second life for PC680 is lawntractor, motorcycle, 4 wheelers, orchard sprayer, an occasional jump start for what ever. It think the 680 there now on the work table could have served well for another 2 years in the RV9 !

Old batteries.......an odd use

Well we all know the PC680 is dog water on the longevity scale. What did you guys do with your old ones? Turn em into a parts store? Rejuvenate them somehow? Or better yet, anyone make anything cool like a tug?

Necessity is the mother of invention! SuzieQ sits in a small hangar with the Cub and one car, along with all the other stored junk a hangar/garage accumulates, work benches, etc. There is not an abundance of spare room. I have wingtip strobes on both wings and, of course, they stick out. It is a small dance to avoid hitting the strobe glass cover walking by the wing, the left especially as there is a small cabinet there. I am aware of it sticking out and get around it without problems, usually....:rolleyes:. One day a hangar visitor walked by the wingtip, hitting it as he brushed by, and the lens popped out, shattering on the floor. Of course, he felt bad but I brushed it off, having, for some reason, a spare. I have four old batteries I have replaced over the decades and they now sit, two under each wing tip, that anyone, including me, has to walk around to get past the wing, with plenty of distance from the strobe lens. Could I have done something else like move the cabinet? Yes, for the left wing. Difficult to move the hangar door for the right. No one has hit the strobes since!:D:D:D

After 9 years in two different airplanes, it resides in a 1948 MG-TC. Still going strong..... I have another one that has been multiple airplanes, and it resides in a 1972 MGB, also still going strong...

Like Dennis,
I have 2 motorcycles that the PC680 fits, plus a house generator, and I use them for running my telescope mount.

After 9 years in two different airplanes, it resides in a 1948 MG-TC. Still going strong..... I have another one that has been multiple airplanes, and it resides in a 1972 MGB, also still going strong...

Over the years I, too, have had an MG Midget, MGB and an MGB-GT. Loved each of them for their unique qualities but can admit that the battery is much more reliable than either of those three vehicles.

When you own an MG it spends two weeks in the shop for every week of driving.

Thanks for some good ideas guys. I would like to give this old PC680 a unique home. We will see what one can create!

Back