What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Engine Storage Protection

Frankster13

I have a new Lycoming O-390 on my RV-14A. I drained the preservation oil and was planning to fire up my finished aircraft but now have a one month forced delay due to my employer. Is there any harm in letting it sit a month or two in my hanger or should i take measures to protect the engine from sitting? I am in the reasonable mild weather of northern CA but don't want to harm my brand new engine. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Lycoming does list preservation in the operating manual. Here is the list for your easy reference from page 7-2 of the manual:

CORROSION PREVENTION IN ENGINES INSTALLED IN INACTIVE AIRCRAFT
Corrosion can occur, especially in new or overhauled engines, on cylinder walls of engines that will be inoperative for periods as brief as two days. Therefore, the following preservation procedure is recommended for inactive engines and will be effective in minimizing the corrosion condition for a period up to thirty days.
NOTE
Ground running the engine for brief periods of time is not a substitute for the following procedure; in fact, the practice of ground running will tend to aggravate rather than minimize this corrosion condition.
a. As soon as possible after the engine is stopped, move the aircraft into the hangar, or other shelter where the preservation process is to be performed.
b. Remove sufficient cowling to gain access to the spark plugs and remove both spark plugs from each cylinder.
c. Spray the interior of each cylinder with approximately two (2) ounces of corrosion preventive oil while cranking the engine about five (5) revolutions with the starter. The spray gun nozzle may be placed in either of the spark plug holes.
NOTE
Spraying should be accomplished using an airless spray gun (Spraying Systems Co., “Gunjet” Model 24A-8395 or equivalent). In the event an airless spray gun is not available, personnel should install a moisture trap in the air line of a conventional spray gun and be certain oil is hot at the nozzle before spraying cylinders.
d. With the crankshaft stationary, again spray each cylinder through the spark plug holes with approximately two ounces of corrosion preventive oil. Assemble spark plugs and do not turn crankshaft after cylinders have been sprayed.
The corrosion preventive oil to be used in the foregoing procedure should conform to specification MIL- L-6529, Type I heated to 200°F/220°F (93°C/104°C) spray nozzle temperature.

Noting that you may not have power to run the starter yet, hand cranking the engine around will suffice and isn't hard with the plugs out. I also recommend that you respray the cylinders and re-rotate a few revolutions to get the cylinders completely coated every month or so if it sits longer. Sealing up the intake and exhaust will also help.

Last edited:
If you just drained the oil you should be fine. You will find quite a bit of oil still in the cylinders when you remove the plugs. All the internal components should be well coated.

Back