What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Dynon 12" HDX

N890GF

https://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-hdx.php -

From the images, it looks like the back shell is the same size as the 10" with the screen and the rest of the display being larger. Depending on how panels are cut, some may be drop in replacements for the 10" (given the back shell is the same size). Seems also reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Proving once again... don't design your panel until as late as possible in your build!
Kudos to Dynon!

https://www.dynonavionics.com/skyview-hdx.php -

From the images, it looks like the back shell is the same size as the 10" with the screen and the rest of the display being larger. Depending on how panels are cut, some may be drop in replacements for the 10" (given the back sell is the same size). Seems also reasonably priced.

That's right. We don't expect that too many people will reasonably be able to do that, given that panels don't often have a ton of clearance around any given display or element. But if you have the room, you would just need to drill new holes. The cutout is just about centered on the 12-in display, by the way.

That's right. We don't expect that too many people will reasonably be able to do that, given that panels don't often have a ton of clearance around any given display or element. But if you have the room, you would just need to drill new holes. The cutout is just about centered on the 12-in display, by the way.
awesome! thanks for the update! that could be really nice for those who have the panel real estate to support that! also nice that it can reuse the behind-panel tray (I have two of them for my 10"s)

I'm just starting to think panel design (RV9A). Mission is cross country travel, starting with VFR until I get my IFR ticket. From the dimensions on the website, it looks like it should fit the -9 panel. My initial assumption was that I was going to go with either dual Dynon or AFS displays, with one being dedicated to maps/charts. With the real estate of the 12", I'm now starting to wonder if I can get away with a single display. The map looks significantly more usable on that size screen. I guess the main con would simply be the lack of dual screen redundancy (although still with a backup like the G5). It's tempting.

I'm just starting to think panel design (RV9A). Mission is cross country travel, starting with VFR until I get my IFR ticket. From the dimensions on the website, it looks like it should fit the -9 panel. My initial assumption was that I was going to go with either dual Dynon or AFS displays, with one being dedicated to maps/charts. With the real estate of the 12", I'm now starting to wonder if I can get away with a single display. The map looks significantly more usable on that size screen. I guess the main con would simply be the lack of dual screen redundancy (although still with a backup like the G5). It's tempting.
I have flown my RV9 coast to coast top and bottom more than once with 1 screen and have been super satisfied. 2 screens is cool, but not necessary. I also have switches below my screen, and like how compact that is vs a 12 that switches below may not be possible.

It’s going to be personal preference.

For a decade, I had a pair of 8” AFS screens in front of me. Last year, I upgrade the screens and the panel. Instead of two screens dedicated in front of the pilot and one for the passenger, I now have a 10” in front of me, a 10” in the middle, and one of my old 8” on the right, all AFS. I also have a G5 that can function as a third adahars.

it took a few weeks to make the transition, but I now light this arrangement better. Beside larger screens for our older eyes, all occupants (4) can see the middle MFD which always is on the map. The his and engine monitor is always up on the screen in front of me.

i think dual screens in front of you, or the three screens arranged symmetrical are better than a 12” with a bunch of opened windows. But that’s just my opinion and it’s worth what you paid for it. Two 10” will have better visibility than one 12” if you are of the age to wear bifocals.

I had a chance to see and interact with one of the new 12 inch screens at SnF, and it was great. I'm building an 8, so panel layout is not simple, but the 12 is going to be LOVED by 8 drivers. Screen is large enough to read without needing my readers, yes, there is a difference even compared to the 10. Single 12 gives almost as much screen areas as a 10 + 7.

For an 8, a singe 12, will leave plently of space for Nav/AP/Radio controls, much simpler and cleaner then trying to squeeze everything in with dual 10s or even 10/7.

If I was building a SBS/ i would for sure by looking at dual 12s, cost difference is very small compared to 10s.

Still some way to go until I order my panel, but…I think in my experimental -12 this display is at least a serious option to consided. May be changing the 2x 10” HDX with a centered 12” HDX plus one D3, gains panel real estate and offers additional flexibility for an optional tablet use?
I will definitely check which route suits me better, if the 12” generally fits into the center.

I am not at the point of designing my panel. Up to now I have been thinking Garmin G3X, but I have to say, the new 12" Dynon is very interesting. I will have to take a closer look at Osh.

So I just went thought this 10” or 12” excersise on the new RV-10 build. I decided to stay with the 10”.

Factor in the typical GTN-650 or such navigator, a G5 or similar, add SkyView HDX modules and space gets eaten up. Now remember that the 12” will need to be mounted lower in the panel as the display top outboard corners are the limiting factor.

The photo is the initial rough element placements for the new RV-10. Most time was spent figuring out how to modify the center rib to accommodate the GTN-650.

I run a 10” and a 7” HDX in the RV-8. The redundancy is good for IFR work and I’ve done “partial panel” practice using only the 7” HDX. For VFR only RV-8s perhaps some would like a single 12” display.

Carl

Attachments

• 20240421_130953.jpeg
    20240421_130953.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Back