What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help propeller shopping (RV-6)

Malcolm

I'm New Here
I am in the market for a new prop my RV-6 (O-360-A1A)
The new Hartzell blended airfoil seems to be one of the best options, but are there others I should be considering? Any ideas or thoughts are welcome!
The lead times seem to be crazy.

Whirlwind

They have great products and quick delivery. Contact them, ask for Shelly.

Shelly

Whirl Wind Propellers Corp

“Leaders in Propeller Performance Technology”

619-562-3725

My -8 with an IO 370 has a WW GA prop. It is the only prop I’ve had on this plane so I have nothing to compare it too and any like or dislike would be meaningless. Pilots who switched to CS from FP all seem to like the CS a lot.
A CS is heavy on the nose. My plane weighs 1032 and another passenger, even a light 100# one, really makes the plane feel sluggish. And putting that weight right on the nose would make it even more sluggish. Sluggish is not the right word, even at gross it is a long way from a 172.
I don’t think I’m giving up anything on speed and switching to a CS would increase the already good climb but may hurt the delightful feel of the controls. CS would certainly cost much more and require more maintenance. Compromise??

It may be worth your while to check out "MT" propellers. They have a unique spruce and beech wood core and carbon fiber jacket that absorbs vibration.
they also have many other features such as being field repairable.

Call Larry at Flight Resources: 612-619-5782

A CS is heavy on the nose.

I'd like to add another viewpoint for consideration, and expand on post #4 a bit.

CS props now can have either Aluminum or Composite blades. AL blades are traditional, inexpensive and heavy. A CS prop with Compsite blades are much lighter. A Composite CS prop wont be as light as a WW GA prop or a Sensenich GA prop, but if I recall, the Composite blades on a CS prop is about 30 pounds lighter than an Aluminum CS prop.

Back