What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Help / Determining Worth

MeanDude

I'm New Here
Hey! Kind of a weird general question and I’m hoping someone can help me. Forgive me if this is the wrong sub/category, but i didn’t think it would fit elsewhere.

Question is “How does someone go about determine the worth of parts for an RV?” With a certified aircraft it is fairly easy. (Piper charges x, condition is c, therefore price is y). Seems with one-off constructed products it is more difficult. Believe me, I know this will be a tough one to answer and there are many facets to speak to, but any general guidance is welcome. Thank you!

Last edited:
As Radomir says, I tend to take that price and will pay 50% of that price for the part if I need or want it. Some items that are hard to get or really needed fast may bring 75%.

Thank you! That information helps the cause. Please forgive me for being a dumb guy - first time doing anything with a kit-built aircraft and know my questions are somewhat elementary. I’m trying to help a friend who is separating from aviation and don’t want to get it wrong. Anyway, this led me to more questions. What he has is from an RV6 - a tail and cowl that I was told were “upgraded” to a newer design. Guessing this has something to do with a 6 vs a 6A. Good assumption? … and guessing the fact it was termed an “upgrade” means they are less desirable?

Again, many thanks for the direction.

- Don

The difference between the 6 (tailwheel) and the 6A (nose wheel) is the placement of the landing gear.

If I recall correctly, the new design on the tail is the rudder being thicker; I'm not sure that there is a new cowl design. Posting pictures of what you have would be helpful.

Paul, these are the items.

Attachments

• IMG_8709.jpeg
    IMG_8709.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 163
Im in GSO

Looks like a TW -6..if it were a 6A, there would be a cut-out in the lower cowl. Odd to see it all finished with no fuselage. I have a bit of experience with RV's in the area, and built my RV-4. I work at GSO airport..couldn't send you a PM for some reason.

Don,
RV-6 parts are not pre-punched. This causes variations in hole placements from one builder to another. As a result, you can't take a fabricated part off one RV-6 and expect it to correctly fit another RV-6.

IMHO the tail parts in your photo will probably find their way to being wall art. Price appropriately.

MD.
Keep the tail pieces and watch the WTB listings at VAF.
There is a market now for RV-6 replacement pieces.
If someone bungs up their tail piece, they cant get replacement parts from Vans. Someone will pay a fair price for replacement pieces.
Just takes some patience.

As a previous poster said - these are probably wall art. The RV-6 was typically not prepunched (until late in the production run) and I don’t think the empennage ever was - so these parts may or may not fit another plane correctly. I would think scrap value plus a small premium but that’s just my opinion.

Looks like a TW -6..if it were a 6A, there would be a cut-out in the lower cowl. Odd to see it all finished with no fuselage. I have a bit of experience with RV's in the area, and built my RV-4. I work at GSO airport..couldn't send you a PM for some reason.

Have to wonder if someone is parting out an RV to reduce liability exposure.

Back