What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need an Audio panel recommendation

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
I have a RV6. I need a 2 place audio panel that is able to monitor a second Com radio. I don’t need BT, marker beacon or DME since I will only have a gps.

I know Dynon has an audio panel but not sure if it can monitor a second Com. Can anyone recommend an audio panel that is cost effective?

Thanks

Idk if it’s cost effective but I have a GMA 245 and love it. I did want Bluetooth though. It does not have marker beacons.

I have a RV6. I need a 2 place audio panel that is able to monitor a second Com radio. I don’t need BT, marker beacon or DME since I will only have a gps.

I know Dynon has an audio panel but not sure if it can monitor a second Com. Can anyone recommend an audio panel that is cost effective?

Thanks

Yes - you can have a Comm #1 and Comm #2 using the Dynon audio panel. To do this you add a single DPDT toggle switch to select which radio you want to talk on. Both radios play through the audio panel - you use the radio volume control if you don’t want to hear one of them.

Carl

Yes - you can have a Comm #1 and Comm #2 using the Dynon audio panel. To do this you add a single DPDT toggle switch to select which radio you want to talk on. Both radios play through the audio panel - you use the radio volume control if you don’t want to hear one of them.

Carl

Speaking on behalf of Dynon, this answer is true. However our Dynon product is actually an intercom, and for a true dual-COM audio panel we suggest one of the PS Engineering audio panels. They really are the best. I think their smallest and lowest cost is the PMA4000.
-Robert (at Dynon)

ditch the audio panel

go with a modern single radio that has an integrated intercom. you can monitor the standby. keeps it simple.

go with a modern single radio that has an integrated intercom. you can monitor the standby. keeps it simple.

This is actually very good advice. The likes of a Trig TY-96 or Garmin GTR 200 or Icom units with standby monitoring. Of the listed types the GTR 200 has an excellent built in 3D stereo intercom and the 200B adds Bluetooth for not much more.

If you have two existing legacy transceivers you want to use then take a close look at the PMA 4000 from PSE for your switching.

I would like to try a PSE PAR 200B with remote transceiver some time but that sounds out of the realm of what you are asking about.

You don't need audio panel as mentioned. Most Com radios and intercoms accept Aux audio input.
In my case I have a dedicated intercom with Aux inputs. Control of individual source volume, what I hear is at audio source (volume control). I hsve overall volume control on intercom. My Com radio has standby freq monitor, so it's almost like having two radios. I don't need to listen to GPS. Music is the other input.

On my first RV I made my own mixing panel, simple audio mixer. Again most Com radio's today have intercoms to handle Aux input(s) easily. I went with Stereo Intercom. I have to say a small piston plane is not a place to listen to hi-fi stereo.

In the old days your audio panel had the marker beacon (MB) lights and audio, and 4 radios ( 2 Coms, 2 Navs - to ID or listen to FSS). You could select what to listen to and what transceiver to transmit.

Related but slightly off topic, Many new GPS ( fancy Garmin IFR type GNS 650/750) have the audio panel built in, with touch screen control and graphical depection of who hears what (multi place intercom).

And if you want two physical radios for redundancy, get two of them. Toggle switches can control where the headphones and microphones are connected, you can have a "live" and "standby" on either.

If you want to get fancy, connect the audio out of each to the aux input on the other radio. Then you can have *three* standby frequencies regardless of which radio you're using. It's up to you to figure out which one is talking though... :p

Back