What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My current project that's leading me to an RV

libertyman777

I'm New Here
Hey everyone!

So I'm currently finishing a Pietenpol project that I purchased recently. It's about 80-85% complete. I have most all of the components needed to finish, including the firewall forward (Corvair), covering materials, instruments, etc. I do have to fashion one key system and it will be very similar to what is installed in a RV, the fuel tank.

Actually, I'll be building the tank from scratch and will be utilizing my wooden rib as a template for the aluminum (with some slight changes) and then assembling, riveting and sealing it up just like in the Vans video and using the Vans sealant.

It'll be located in the center section and will be gravity fed.

I have been considering going to a certified plane like a Mooney, Piper Arrow, Grumman AA5. But these aren't getting any cheaper or younger.

The Piet project has really been a confidence builder and the stage of completion that I purchased mine in makes it much more like a kit/plans hybrid.

If I do go with the RV it will be either a pay as I go situation or a project that someone is selling in a low stage of completions that will allow for a thorough inspection.

My choices are narrowed down toe the 6, 7 or 9. So herein lies my question. I'd also like to upgrade as I go but I wonder about practicality.

For instance:
1: Starting out with a fixed pitch prop but moving to a constant speed.
2: Starting out with a minimal VFR panel and upgrading to IFR.
a) If this is practical, could I start with steam gauges or some type of
electronic system?
3: I would also eventually want an auto pilot. Is this something that I should
install initially and then hook up later or just wait?
4: Engine upgrade. Should I buy once and cry once here or can I go bigger at a
later date.
5: Used/rebuilt engines.
6: Has anyone else done their build this way at least in part.

I appreciate your answers and please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks,
Paul

1: Starting out with a fixed pitch prop but moving to a constant speed.

This is possible, but you will at least want to make sure you have an engine that can be plugged for the fixed pitch and later remove the plug when you get the constant speed.

There will also be some additional plumbing depending on whether you have an oil driven constant speed or electric.

But definitely possible.

In my RV 14 build I'm planning on going basic VFR Garmin initially with the thought of upgrading to IFR later on. I haven't investigated yet from a wiring standpoint the best way to do that without doing a lot or rewiring latter on. e.g. Wondering if I can build the CAN bus with wiring for the future, but have the non-existing devices plugged out in the CAN bus. Probably not.

2: Starting out with a minimal VFR panel and upgrading to IFR.
a) If this is practical, could I start with steam gauges or some type of
electronic system?

Folks upgrade their avionics all the time. The trick will be finding a minimal set of round gauges that are actually less expensive than a simple one display EFIS from Garmin or Dynon. That use to be possible when Van's sold basic VFR round gauges. Not so much any more. A basic Garmin G5 will be hard to beat price wise.

I would just wait, but others might advise otherwise.

4: Engine upgrade. Should I buy once and cry once here or can I go bigger at a
later date.
5: Used/rebuilt engines.

Lots of options here. In my RV 9 I went with a used engine from Wentworth. I planned on buying a new one at a later date. My luck with the used engine has been very good. It has been a solid engine and 500 hours and 10 years later, I'm still flying it. I wish I could do the same with the RV 14 I'm building.

6: Has anyone else done their build this way at least in part.

That has been my plan all along. Though I've been having so much fun flying VFR that I haven't done many upgrades at this point. I did put in a JPM 730 engine monitor a few years ago and removed all my Van's round engine gauges. I'm glad I did that. I love all the information it gives me about the engine.

Michael

Check the market. If you build a -7 and upgrade it, you can probably get (most of) your money out of it. Much less likely with a -6.

Others will have additional information.

I am taking the approach to build mine exactly how I want it because I’m afraid I’ll have too much fun flying it to tear it apart to upgrade, but You will see some good deal in the classified section on the site for complete steam gauge panels that have been removed for upgrades

Welcome Paul. RV9 still could be built under 50K. Recently there was a 9 second hand decent workmanship all subkits for 12K plus engine/mount/prop for another 12. Add a couple grand of your steam, paint and other overheads and you have a flying airplane for a reasonable price. But... you have to do the work. Very few are building on the budget these days.

Though the 6, 7, and 9 missions overlap, they are different enough that I suggest you narrow it to just one of those and then figure out how to get there. All three are doable. An inexpensive panel and F/P prop are great initial acquisition bang for the buck. As are painting it yourself, field overhauling a solid engine core yourself or lucking into a great mid-time running engine.
Good Luck!!!

Thanks Gentlemen for the replies. This is exactly the kind of information that I was seeking. I'll continue to hang out, learn and ask more questions. Now to get this Piet finished and onto the next!!

If you are contemplating a panel upgrade down the road, I would strongly consider a plug-and-play solution such as the Advanced Panel that Advanced Flight Systems makes. You would not be limited to Advanced Flight or Dynon avionics (although both are excellent) but your panel would be easily upgradeable as your flying needs/wants changed. Rob Hickman has been around the avionics biz for a long time. He is accessible, helpful, and AFS panels are excellent. The Advanced Control Module is the heart of these systems and is extremely clever and well-designed. If you call Rob on the phone, you will get very personal and helpful attention.

Here's an older video -- illustrative of the Advanced Panel concept https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tNAdWJWIvY

Last edited:

Run the wires initially. Look at the different systems and wire for the system that needs the most wiring, plus maybe a few more. Pitch channel hardware won't be to hard to install later. Roll will be tougher. Hope a recent builder can chime in here.

When I built my -7 I installed a 'roll-only' autopilot but I got TruTrak to send me the installation kit for the pitch servo. So I installed the bracket and drilled the hole in the bellcrank. Much easier to do while building. 15 years later I upgraded to a two-axis and I was very glad that I had already installed the bracket. The servo was a simple bolt in operation and some wires. David's comment about installing the wires is a good one too. I had a conduit that made it easier.

Pitch servo

Not sure where the pitch servo goes in the RV6,7,9 but in the RV-4 and 8 it's mounted on rear bellcrank extended angles. There I would definitely install the extended angles even if I didn't have the servo.

Once you've decided on the model, get the plans for it from Van's on a USB stick.

Finn

Back