What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving part-way through build

gotyoke

Well Known Member
I'm in the early planning stages of an out-of-state move in perhaps 2 years. With (RV-14) kit lead times as they are, I could maybe get through the finishing kit up to the point just before I would hang an engine. Wings will not be attached. I am comfortable with the idea of hauling the stuff myself.

But, since I have to move the fuselage somehow, I am thinking trying to move it with the gear on would significantly complicate the move, that it would be easier to move the fuselage without the gear. Is that correct, or is moving with the gear no big deal?

I don’t know about the -14 but I have moved a dozen -6, -7 and -8s. I would MUCH rather have the gear on. Makes it a piece of cake to move. Is the -14 wide enough that it wouldn’t fit in a truck or trailer with the gear? Measure axle nut to axle nut and if it fits I would put it on the gear. Protects the belly from damage, easier to man handle, easier to secure.

Back