What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting a step on RV-8

Sleepy

Sponsor
My wife has some knee issues related to gymnastics in her youth. Consequently, I'm considering putting the RV-8A step on my RV-8. I would appreciate any insight from those that have done it and whether or not you did/would recommend shortening the length on the arm.

Thanks,
Scott

Yes. Works great. Shorten it about half. That makes it a very natural height and step onto the wing.1708806631317.jpeg

My wife has some knee issues related to gymnastics in her youth. Consequently, I'm considering putting the RV-8A step on my RV-8. I would appreciate any insight from those that have done it and whether or not you did/would recommend shortening the length on the arm.

Thanks,
Scot

I installed a step on my RV7 on the passenger side, shortened 3". I think it would have been ok full length but works great as modified (close to the middle of the stepping height). My vertically challenged wife and 90 year old father love it. I have installed the 8A step on my 8 currently under construction. I have left it stock length at this point and will modify it on the plane if I find it necessary once I get it flying (hopefully by this fall). It's a big step up and down for those of us less youthful and I would definitely put one on a dragger.

I have a step mounted ready to install. I had a fabricator cut off 4" and weld it back together. It seems like the right length. Pretty simple to do.

Back