What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More "Ergonomic" Tungsten Bucking Bar

HFS

Well Known Member
Here are a couple of pics of a universal tungsten "palm" bucking bar that, ergonomically is much more "user friendly" than what is currently available. I had a couple of these made by Midwest Tungsten Service many years ago; and, at that time offered the design to them for their product line - no joy on their part. Oh well ...

Several things I really like about it:

Weighs more than most similar shaped ones - 2 3/4 lb

Has the sides cut back for a much better hand grip.

Face is cutback to only 15* (shallower than others I've seen)

The center hole for a safety "lanyard" is critical - don't think so, wait till you drop one inside your wing when closing it ... Ask me how I know?

I'm sure Midwest still has my drawing, and I think it's too bad they don't see the need for it in their product line.

HFS

Attachments

• Tungsten Bucking Bar - Top View.jpg
    Tungsten Bucking Bar - Top View.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 178
  • Tungsten Bucking Bar - Side View.jpg
    Tungsten Bucking Bar - Side View.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 176
That looks to be a very nice and useful bucking bar.
Bucking bars are like a lot of other tools, they work for most applications but in a few places you just need something special.
I used the rectangular tungsten bar for most of my riveting on the RV-10 and I did most of it by myself. If it did not fit in a flat position it would fit in an upright position, a truly universal tool for bucking.
The "dongle" on your bar is not something I would want to deal with in a tight space but I do know what you are talking about.
For my first build I bought a dozen of those cast iron clubs and after using the tungsten bar I never touched any of those.
Just my point of view.

That looks to be a very nice and useful bucking bar.
Bucking bars are like a lot of other tools, they work for most applications but in a few places you just need something special.
I used the rectangular tungsten bar for most of my riveting on the RV-10 and I did most of it by myself. If it did not fit in a flat position it would fit in an upright position, a truly universal tool for bucking.
The "dongle" on your bar is not something I would want to deal with in a tight space but I do know what you are talking about.
For my first build I bought a dozen of those cast iron clubs and after using the tungsten bar I never touched any of those.
Just my point of view.
Meant to be a “general” bar only - not used for specialty work …

Taken at Maule Air. They customize the bars used in wing assembly, which as the south Georgia guys say, "Ain't no bad idea".

Jigged Bucking Bar 800w.jpg

Dave, did I ever show you the Maule long reach squeezer?

Long Reach Squeezer.jpg

Back