What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Monkworks backup generator--two thumbs up

Mdragon

I just installed this over the last couple of days. Wasn't too bad, the usual issues that come up crawling around inside an RV running wires. Ended up having to remove the mechanical rpm sensor for clearance issues. Other than that straight forward.

Haven't ran it much, but I can tell you it feels good to shut off my alternator, and then flip the switch on my Monkworkz, and watch my voltage go from 12 to 14 with no alternator. Even with my lights, strobes, dual HDX, Garmin 175 all running, still keeps up.

I can see this being a trip saver down the line when I snap an alternator belt, field wire, or have a regulator go bad. Especially in IMC could be life saving.

It works as advertised. Weighs 2.5 pounds. Money well spent IMO.

Thanks for the report.

I've not seen any bad feedback about these alternators and as soon as the USD vs NZD gets a little better it was my intentions to buy one. Like you I face the potential for problems with the Tacho Gen but there should have been just enough clearance.

Having the back-up alternator means I can go to the dual Surefly setup. I don't want to be reliant on one alternator if my igniton system is fully electronic.

Be sure to give us a report after a few hours under your belt.

Back