What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Metal Building/Hangar Costs, 2023

Low Pass

Well Known Member
Friend
Curious if anyone has been quoted, or purchased, a new metal building lately? (Southern/Southwest US if it matters.)

Also curious about cost of hangar doors. 50-ft span.

Trying to set my insurance valuations properly.

Thanks!

I just finished my 60'x60' x18' last May here in the PNW.

There are huge variables in cost depending on many factors; ground work, apron, insulation, electrical, etc....so, not sure how helpful this will be.

I budgeted $225k, and zoomed right past that. I ended up just shy of $300k.

This is for a fully insulated, forced air heat/ac, heat pump, LED lighting, 50' Schwiess Bifold straps with auto lock, 60'x50' concrete apron, pretty much all the bells and whistles.

Ground work was extensive as I had to move a lot of dirt. Concrete was expensive, and I had a lot of it. Finding a good erection company was difficult. I had quotes ranging from $65k-125k just for erection.

I believe the door alone was around $30k, not installed.

Be aware of the cost of steel. Your building supplier will quote on current steel prices. I was hit with a $15k change order for increase in cost of steel literally at the last minute. You pay 1/3 deposit for engineering, 1/3 for production, and the final 1/3 COD. They informed me on Friday that my building was loaded on the truck for Monday delivery and I would owe them another $15k for the change. My contractor was scheduled for Monday with no options to move them. So, what do you do? Write the check......

In comparison, a similar hangar in 2008 was $125k.

Whatever your budget, be prepared for the overruns....

I built a 50 x 50 hangar, insulated, heat/air, plumbing 4 years ago. It has 18' side walls, and the hangar door (Higher Power door) is 16' x 45'. I had the concrete work, plumbing, and electrical service entrance done, but my son and I erected the hangar and installed the rest of the electric. In total I spent about $125k, and that included $15k of fill dirt with the concrete work, and about $20k of reach forklift rental (should have just bought one and sold it when I was done).

The metal building kit was $25k delivered at the time, the door was $15k delivered. Another airpark resident said last year the building kit was now $50k when he was looking last fall. I would expect everything has gone up as well, so I would budget a minimum of $225k now, still putting up the building myself.

It took us 1.5 years to get it done, working only on the weekends. I kept track of our time, and if we had worked on it full time it would have been about 4 months. I've seen crews take 6 months or longer, so I guess we didn't take all the union required lunch and rest breaks...

Mark

I just finished my 60'x60' x18' last May here in the PNW.

There are huge variables in cost depending on many factors; ground work, apron, insulation, electrical, etc....so, not sure how helpful this will be.

I budgeted $225k, and zoomed right past that. I ended up just shy of $300k.

This is for a fully insulated, forced air heat/ac, heat pump, LED lighting, 50' Schwiess Bifold straps with auto lock, 60'x50' concrete apron, pretty much all the bells and whistles.

Ground work was extensive as I had to move a lot of dirt. Concrete was expensive, and I had a lot of it. Finding a good erection company was difficult. I had quotes ranging from $65k-125k just for erection.

I believe the door alone was around $30k, not installed.

Be aware of the cost of steel. Your building supplier will quote on current steel prices. I was hit with a $15k change order for increase in cost of steel literally at the last minute. You pay 1/3 deposit for engineering, 1/3 for production, and the final 1/3 COD. They informed me on Friday that my building was loaded on the truck for Monday delivery and I would owe them another $15k for the change. My contractor was scheduled for Monday with no options to move them. So, what do you do? Write the check......

In comparison, a similar hangar in 2008 was $125k.

Whatever your budget, be prepared for the overruns....

Which airport? I’d be interested in seeing this. I’m out of KPLU (Thun).

Thanks for the information. Just trying to insure existing building at a realistic number. I think I'm in the ballpark. Replacement cost near Houston has probably increased 2.5 - 3 X last 5-6 years. Da## glad I bought when I did.
Now just need to try and manage the taxes and insurance...

Which airport? I’d be interested in seeing this. I’m out of KPLU (Thun).

Tillamook, OR. KTMK
Sorry my location on my profile still says Battleground as I can't seem to get it updated as my answers to "prove I am a human" keep getting rejected.
You're still welcome to come down and take a look. I have a great view of the Blimp Hangar right out my door!

PS - I flew a lot with John Brick if you knew him.

I built a 50 x 50 hangar, insulated, heat/air, plumbing 4 years ago. It has 18' side walls, and the hangar door (Higher Power door) is 16' x 45'. I had the concrete work, plumbing, and electrical service entrance done, but my son and I erected the hangar and installed the rest of the electric. In total I spent about $125k, and that included $15k of fill dirt with the concrete work, and about $20k of reach forklift rental (should have just bought one and sold it when I was done).

The metal building kit was $25k delivered at the time, the door was $15k delivered. Another airpark resident said last year the building kit was now $50k when he was looking last fall. I would expect everything has gone up as well, so I would budget a minimum of $225k now, still putting up the building myself.

It took us 1.5 years to get it done, working only on the weekends. I kept track of our time, and if we had worked on it full time it would have been about 4 months. I've seen crews take 6 months or longer, so I guess we didn't take all the union required lunch and rest breaks...

Mark

You did really well on yours Mark!
I think your math is spot on. My 60x60 was quoted at $60k(building only, with door), then they added the $15k "steel" increase. Erection was around $70K.
I also hired a General Contractor to oversee the permitting and all of the subs. That adds cost but takes away a lot of coordination headaches, and there where plenty!

Tillamook, OR. KTMK
Sorry my location on my profile still says Battleground as I can't seem to get it updated as my answers to "prove I am a human" keep getting rejected.
You're still welcome to come down and take a look. I have a great view of the Blimp Hangar right out my door!

PS - I flew a lot with John Brick if you knew him.

Well now that I know you aren’t a human I’m not sure…
Will definitely PM you next time I head that way. We are known to do a few cheese runs from time to time… ������

Central US location, Steel building/concrete/insulation and someone to build it was recently quoted around $40/sq Ft.
Higher power door 16x48 was $15,800 and $1800 delivery, going smaller doesn’t change the price much.

I was just quoted $118k for a 40x60 insulated. But we are very flat here, and have solid rock about 36" down so foundation prep is minimal.

You did really well on yours Mark!
I think your math is spot on. My 60x60 was quoted at $60k(building only, with door), then they added the $15k "steel" increase. Erection was around $70K.
I also hired a General Contractor to oversee the permitting and all of the subs. That adds cost but takes away a lot of coordination headaches, and there where plenty!

I was mostly worried about the permitting, but fortunately in the county where I live in Florida that department is actually very helpful, it wasn't much of a hassle. Since we did most of the work, coordinating the subs was pretty easy. Concrete guy was awesome - I didn't need a single shim to plumb and square the building. I didn't believe it, checked it twice, then quit and came back and checked it again the next day.

All good information. Helpful setting new insurance valuation.

Hearing all the people looking at new building projects, don't forget the quality assurance. Have recently been installing electrical in my 4 year old building, I have found quite a few loose fasteners, and a few missing ones. Naturally, 15-16 ft up in the corners of the structure.

Last edited:
All good information. Helpful setting new insurance valuation.

Hearing all the people looking at new buildings projects, don't forget the quality assurance. Have recently been installing electrical in my 4 year old building, I have found quite a few loose fasteners, and a few missing ones. Naturally, 15-16 ft up in the corners of the structure.

Good catch.
In our jurisdiction, all structural steel bolts/nuts have to be inspected for proper torque by an independent inspector and signed off. Also, welding required a certified welder and a post weld inspection, again, by an independent inspector. This came into play for the Schweiss door.

I am not sure if this is an IBC requirement or simply our area.

All that said, on one of my main support columns I found a nut that had never been tightened to the foundation. So,..... glad I paid for all those inspections to make the County happy!

Back