What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Me and my big trips - brake question

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
Left for my cross continent adventure this morning, had planned a 4 leg day from Red Deer, Alberta to Merrill, WI. My second leg was to be from Swift Current, SK to Minot, ND to clear customs. That turned into a diversion to Estevan, SK after I was forced too low for ATC contact by a few lines of scattered CU. I couldn?t get the required squawk code and ATC control needed to enter US airspace. Kind of glad I didn?t make it to Minot as the wind was 35G45 splitting the runways at my planned arrival time - well beyond my comfort level.

Upon arriving in Estevan, I was followed by a bunch of ugly weather and my intended destination was on the other side of more nasty storms. That put an end to my day. The large pool of brake fluid by my right wheel may have put an end to my trip. I had intermittent loss of brakes on that side a couple of times earlier today (no problem in Estevan, plenty of right brake). I?ve had small leaks a few times on that side that appear to have no origin. The fitting looks good and most of the time the brakes work well. Anyone run into this? Could a poor flare in the brake line give such intermittent results?

At this point I?m planning to return home. If there?s someone in my general area that could help with a fix in the next day or two, I?d consider flying in to see you. Long shot, and I?m not sure the weather is going to cooperate enough for me to get to the East Coast (Prince Edward Island) anyway.

Have a look at the piston where it exits the caliper body.

Buna N orings service temp upper limits are 225F

Viton is 440 Deg F

Likely a farm industrial bearing shop in Estevan with O rings the right diameter. look up YOUR brand and model of brakes, on line and find the dimensions.

Also if the brake pads are worn near the limit, even good o rings can leak as they start to run out of bore length.

Last edited:
South East Aviation

South East Aviation

Champion Air Park AMO 121-90 for any aircraft repairs required.
Call 1-306-421-1421

Or else ask them if there are any RV AC around Estevan.

That?s a good suggestion, but I won?t be able to get much done here as it?s a long weekend. The brake pads are nowhere near worn through.

On another note, is there any type of readily available hydraulic fluid (like Canadian Tire available) that I can add and not be a problem with the aircraft brake fluid?

I think I would want to find and fix the leak. Much easier to fix than a bent AC from no brakes on one side. And you have the time.

What exactly did you put in when you built it?

5606? flash point= 205F
Aeroshell fluid 41? =83C = <200 F :eek:

Aeroshell fluid 31? 205C =401F :)
Royco 782? = 445F :)

Mobil 1 ATF flashpoint = 428F
Only the last one will be found at canuck tire.

I would ask around to find the local home builders. Or else get Southeast Aviation. They will have Royco 782 or Aeroshell 31

Last edited:
The aviation community never ceases to amaze me. I called Doug at Southeast Aviation like you suggested and for the cost of a couple of cups of coffee, he got me fixed up. Brakes were fine, we found and fixed a fully failed flare in the top of gear leg fitting. Nice to have a positive identification of the issue. I figure it didn?t actually fail until I did a right turn onto the apron here as I had brakes through the turn and then I dumped all of my right side fluid out.

In any case, it?s all fixed and I?m back to planning east. Thanks for the recommendation and the encouragement to get it fixed. I?m certain that if I?d gone to head home tomorrow I wouldn?t?t have made it to an engine start, the right brake was completely soft.

Back