What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

McCauley prop governor dressing

tracy

Well Known Member
Friend
I’ve had a small leak for years on my McCauley prop governor gasket. I’m having it overhauled and was wondering if there is any sort of sealant I can put on gaskets to creat a better seal? I was thinking hylomar universal, or hylomar blue.

I’ve had a small leak for years on my McCauley prop governor gasket. I’m having it overhauled and was wondering if there is any sort of sealant I can put on gaskets to creat a better seal? I was thinking hylomar universal, or hylomar blue.
Are you sure it’s the gasket that is leaking and not one of the studs where oil is wicking through the stud threads ?

Alternatively could it have been the seal between the Govenor Body and the Govenor Baseplate? There's an o-ring in there that could have weeped. Just a thought.

No, what could be done there?
A look at the lycoming parts manual illustrates studs that could cause oil to weep through the threads.
I have had success stopping weeping by applying high temp thread sealant to the studs going into the accessory case and governor drive assembly.

IMG_9084.png

Attachments

• IMG_9083.png
    IMG_9083.png
    588.8 KB · Views: 33
Back