What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main gear fairing trimming

Aviaman

Well Known Member
I’m working on trimming the main gear fairings on a -9A. The fairings are considerably longer than the paper template. The instructions refer to a “molded in scribe line” as the reference for setting the template position. But there is no scribe line that I can find. So, how do you position the template along the length of the fairing?

Leg fairing

I’m working on trimming the main gear fairings on a -9A. The fairings are considerably longer than the paper template. The instructions refer to a “molded in scribe line” as the reference for setting the template position. But there is no scribe line that I can find. So, how do you position the template along the length of the fairing?

I didn't see any taper to the leg fairing so I positioned and cut the excess off one end just in case I needed the scrap later.
There's some debate as to which end should float. Mine are bonded to the top fairing and float in the wheel pant.

I didn't see any taper to the leg fairing so I positioned and cut the excess off one end just in case I needed the scrap later.
There's some debate as to which end should float. Mine are bonded to the top fairing and float in the wheel pant.

My fairings have a lot of taper. So the positioning of the template along its length does matter. That your main gear fairings have no taper raises the question of whether there is a mismatch between my template and my fairings. This is a project bought from another party, so maybe the fairings weren’t original RV-9A fairings.

Taper

My fairings have a lot of taper. So the positioning of the template along its length does matter. That your main gear fairings have no taper raises the question of whether there is a mismatch between my template and my fairings. This is a project bought from another party, so maybe the fairings weren’t original RV-9A fairings.

Sorry.
It's been a while. I probably don't remember accurately.
I would slip the fairing into the pant and see where it fits best then go from there. I know I removed a lot more than I thought would be necessary.
20221031_130958.jpg

Sorry.
It's been a while. I probably don't remember accurately.
I would slip the fairing into the pant and see where it fits best then go from there. I know I removed a lot more than I thought would be necessary.
View attachment 51985

Thanks witejock.
You have a very interesting build log.

I was thinking of ordering the manufactured transition fairings to save the layup work. If I did that, the fit of the fairings into the pre-determined hole could become an issue. I’ll probably just trim and fit, then do the layup to satisfy the gear fairing.

Scribe Line

Strange that yours doesn't have a scribe line. I just fit mine and there was definitely a scribe line around the top of the fairing (to determine the location of the template along the length), a scribe line along the trailing edge, and I believe a scribe line around the bottom of the fairing. I ended up final trimming right on the trailing edge scribe line.

Mine is a -7 with the older green epoxy fiberglass.

Thanks guys-

My fairings are amber colored, not green, so maybe they are a different batch. In any case they don’t have scribe lines.

However we are ordering the RV Bits transition fairings. We will slide both onto the main gear fairing until snug. That will assure a good fit. And checking for length to have sufficient reach at both ends. Then trim the excess at each end.

Thanks for the tip on the gel coat.

Re: RV bits lower fairings. Are you supposed to permanently attach the lower fairings to the wheel pant or what?
You have the option to permanently attach to wheel pants yes, I chose not to and attached them to the wheel pants with screws. The fit is excellent and keeping the intersection fairing in one piece I felt was preferable to having to split and blend into the wheel pants.

Back