What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magnetic tool holders

von_flyer

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I have always avoided using anything magnetic to hold my aviation purpose tools. My thinking has been the tools become magnetized and then in turn will magnetize the hardware in the airplane.

Am I overthinking this for all these years? Does anyone have experience with pros or cons of using magnetic tool holders in the hangar tool box?

Attachments

• magnetic socket holders.png
    magnetic socket holders.png
    148.1 KB · Views: 41
Small data point, you are cautioned not to use a magnetic device to remove lifter bodies. I am not sure what a magnetized lifter body does that’s bad, but they are very specific in this instruction. That is the only thing I have seen. Perhaps others can chime in.

Small data point, you are cautioned not to use a magnetic device to remove lifter bodies. I am not sure what a magnetized lifter body does that’s bad, but they are very specific in this instruction. That is the only thing I have seen. Perhaps others can chime in.

There is a small steel ball at the bottom of it. It acts as a check valve allowing oil in but not out in order to keep pressure on the pushrod. It is a hydraulic lash adjuster and it needs to hold it's oil in place to achieve that goal. It is quite small and if something become magnetized, that force can cause the ball to come off it's seat and allow the valve spring force to push out the oil in the lifter. if that happens and you end up with excess clearance, it will wear out the valve train parts quite rapidly. We need the check ball, as the oil pressure alone cannot resist the valve spring pressure. We fill the lifter when the valve pressure is not there and need the ball to hold it after it fills and the valve spring force tries to push the oil out.

I have no magnet trays in my shop and you couldn't pay me to use one..

Larry

Last edited:
Most regular screw drivers have a magnetic tip. Should use a non magnetic screw driver, or any tool, when installing magnetometer.

My comments aren't related to magnets but more about those types of holders.

I have some of those in my "secondary" tool box which has my non-aviation related tools. The problem with that type is if you don't have the complete set per the holder then a bunch of the positions are empty taking up space in your tool box. I also have some of the type that are a strip where the sockets just snap on. I think I like that type better. If you happen to have 3 3/8" sockets which I do, then you just snap them on the strip no problem. That type is more flexible so I like it better. The down side though is since any position can hold any size socket you have to check the socket to figure out the size.

I bought these from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G31X7AE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

You can also cut them into smaller sections if you want.

I don't have any magnetic holders in my toolbox for the same reason you listed in your initial post; i.e. I don't want random tools to become magnetized. 99% of the stuff on an airplane isn't going to care one way or another, but as I'm sure you know, accidentally magnetized hardware can wreak havoc around magnetometers, compasses and probably a few other things I'm not recalling off hand.

My weapon of choice for a screwdriver is a really expensive snap-on ratcheting screwdriver, but I also have a whole drawer full of non-magnetic screwdrivers for where I don't want that potential problem to pop up.

Back