What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MA-4SPA Carb Leaking

gsxphil

Patron
I think i may have a leak on my carb. Seems to be coming from the throttle body to bowl gasket. I think. Wondering how difficult this is to replace?
I have ordered new gasket for this. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Carb 1.jpg
    Carb 1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 106
  • Carb 2.jpg
    Carb 2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 114
I replaced that gasket during a carb rebuild. Mine was leaking due to looseness between the upper part and lower bowl in spite of the hardware locks on those 4 bolts. You may want to check the float and needle valve position while you are there. That bowl has a vent hole on top and will leak if the float level is not correct or if the needle valve is not seating properly. May as well replace the pump o ring also while you are there if it's been a while. Be careful with the pump disassembly there is a spring and small check ball in the bottom, easy to lose. Overall not a difficult job..just work on a clean table with a white cloth under all your parts. There's a good drawing on line of the rebuild procedure.

( actually in 2019)
I ordered specific parts for MS MA-4SPA about a year ago and had good luck with MS at this link . But I did have to call them.

https://msacarbs.com/product-category/carburetors/ma-4spa/

Last edited:
Check this too

needs new gasket , also need to check needle and seat, float level

Make sure the carb is not contacting the FAB airbox.
Contact other than the rubber at the inlet will cause your float bowl to loosen up in short order.

I was having trouble with my carb after changing the float assy per an AD. I eventual sent it to Marvel-Shebler CarbsLLC in Gibsonville NC and they got it right and it didnt cost too much.

Cm

Ditto what Chris said..

Happened to me on my RV4 with same carb..I built the snorkel to cowl interface too tight. Started causing lean condition and backfiring on throttle down for landing and rough idle. Simple fix, and a good inspection checkpoint when cowling is off.

Back