What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for DAR in Bay Area

rph142

Well Known Member
Im looking for a DAR in the Bay Area. My -7 is based out of KCCR and is ready for the inspection. Thanks!

Im looking for a DAR in the Bay Area. My -7 is based out of KCCR and is ready for the inspection. Thanks!

You will probably get a number of suggestions as there are a few options in the area, but my recommendation would be to getting touch with Richard Dilbeck at the email address below. Richard is not exactly in the Bay Area but he is not far away and travels for inspections. He does a fairly thorough inspection and will take his time with you. I think his experience applies well to the DAR job. You can also find a few inspection videos that include him by searching his name on YouTube.

[email protected]

There are options that are located closer with a reputation for a more streamlined inspection, but it feels weird to drop a name I didn't personally work with. PM if interested in more, as it probably an easier and less costly option if that is your priority. Without making any judgment regarding others, I'm personally glad I went with Dilly.

DAR

+1 on Richard Dillbeck. He did mine and I think it was worth every penny. Not that he found a lot of things to fix but he had a ton of ways to make the airplane and the maintenance of it better. A pleasure to work with.

I left a message and email with Dilly. No word back yet. Any other names would be appreciated just incase availability is an issue.

I was informed (informally) by my FSDO that Dilly had retired - one reason they are doing paperwork for me to become a DAR. The paperwork is on a slow boat however, and now that we’re into the holidays, I expect it’ll be into next year before I have my designation….

Hey Paul, I'd be happy to be your first inspection depending on how long I have to wait into the new year. Keep me posted. In the meantime I'll keep searching.

Have you tried the OAK FSDO? They seem to vacillate; sometimes they say they’re too busy, sometimes they’ll come out. If you cannot find a DAR definitely complain to them. Sometimes that works.

+1 for Richard Ortenheim

I was unsuccessful at getting the OAK FSDO to even entertain doing the inspection.

I had Richard Ortenheim do my DAR inspection back in 2016. He was thorough, made sure all of the paperwork was up to snuff before he arrived, and walked through everything with me. It took several hours, but was very much worth it.

Ditto on Richard Ortenheim, although he’s sold Skyview and is now semi-retired. He has a hangar he works out of at Byron. He’s generally available with a couple week’s notice.

+1 on Dilly. Great guy, really helps make it all sense.

Richard is also a fun guy to work with. 'First you have to balance the flaps' as he would tell me.

George Schoen

Here is a name that circulated among EAA and KCCR.
I don't know him but you might give him a try.
The email is 5 years old FWIW.

As we discussed, I'm a DAR with the OAK FSDO with authorization to issue special airworthiness certificates for amateur-built aircraft. Please pass my contact details on to your EAA members and to anyone else in need of DAR services.

Best regards,
George

George J. Schoen
DAR OAK FSDO
Aviation Resources Int'l, LLC
Mobile +1 415 298 4516
[email protected]

Back