What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Locktite 567 with PTFE (shelf life)

riobison

Well Known Member
Any idea on the shelf life of 567 with PTFE/teflon?
I put a dab on a piece of paper overnight and it hasn't set up at all.

A dab of permatex 14H has set up.

A dab of Masters pro dope also set up.

Re doing my drain plugs on my o320

Thanks

Tim

Any idea on the shelf life of 567 with PTFE/teflon?
I put a dab on a piece of paper overnight and it hasn't set up at all.

It cures in the absence of air, so unless you put your piece of paper in a vacuum chamber...

The shelf life of Locktite 567 is 2 years.

Our company throws out quite a bit of the stuff due to shelf life. Our quality people now put stickers on the bottles so it's easier to track.

Red and blue loctite expire in one year after opening the tube.
All of them are anaerobic.

Loctite 567 is the best thread sealant ever if used according to the instructions, which are hidden.
Note that they recommend using Loctite primer on aluminum threads.

As far as the shelf life: When it’s new it comes out of the tube white. In a year it comes out white and yellow.

https://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content/henkel/Do-It-Right-Guide_IN_IMRMAA

Last edited:
According to the Loctite web site, it is thixotropic. Which I then had to look up.

"Thixotropic materials are odd solids and fluids that change their viscosity when loaded by stress by becoming less viscous. This ability is a non-Newtonian property. This means that, at rest, the material becomes more solid than it is when compressed"

So basically it cures when put under stress.

Loctite

The shelf life for 567 is two years from date of manufacture.
Red and blue loctite expire in one year after opening the tube.
All of them are anaerobic.

Uh oh. I've used my Blue Loctite many times. It's probably 8-10 years old. Fasteners are quite snug to turn.

Found this...
"A rep from Loctite once gave a presentation at the New England Model Engineering Society. Somebody asked him about expiration dates on Loctite threadlockers. He said that the DoD or some such government agency insists that everything they buy have an expiration date, so Loctite puts one on...but as far as Loctite is concerned, there isn't one. If the stuff comes out of the bottle, it's good."

Last edited:
According to the Loctite web site, it is thixotropic. Which I then had to look up.

"Thixotropic materials are odd solids and fluids that change their viscosity when loaded by stress by becoming less viscous. This ability is a non-Newtonian property. This means that, at rest, the material becomes more solid than it is when compressed"

So basically it cures when put under stress.

I’m going to question the extension of that logic. They are independent properties/phenomena. “More solid” (less viscous) is not curing That said, any heat from friction during torquing would probably speed up the cross-linking iof the compound. By your extended logic, any exposed compound would never cure. That said, being thixotropic would help ensure that it wouldn’t wouldn’t greatly affect fastener torque.

Any ChemE’s out there? I’m willing to learn.

Best or at least most fun, example of a non-Newtonian fluid? Go find a Stretch Armstrong or current equivalent toy. Pull it slowly and it will stretch pretty easily and a relative lot. Stretch it faster and feel the increase in resistance. Apply force extremely rapidly (dare your idiot cousin to punch it) and it won’t even leave a mark (on the toy). Might break some bones in his hand though but hey, he deserved it. If you grew up in the south, you’ll understand for sure.

Last edited:
So my multi yr tube with only a few drops out may or may not still be good?

How long does it take for this stuff to set up once made up?

I tried it and some other sealant on some bolts and after 8 hrs I didn't really see any change.

Then again they weren't pipe threads so probably not a valid test.

Ill just bite the bullet and buy another $40 tube for one thread. Almost as much as the quick drain that Im installing.

I hate leaks and have been successful avoiding them using loctite 567 and loctite primer as directed. It’s the only way I know. If the threads fit anywhere near it’s got a high probability of being leak tight with the lowest tightening torque. The primer makes the excess sealant dry in minutes rather than months forming a nice hard bead at the joint. They are both available in small quantities for as little as $10 each online.

Last edited:
I hate leaks and have been successful avoiding them using loctite 567 and loctite 770 primer as directed.

Are you sure that’s the right primer for 567? 770 primer is used for cyanoacrylate adhesives when used with plastics. The Loctite documentation lists Primer N (Loctite 7649) as the proper primer for 567.

Back