What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Limbach

easternrep

I'm New Here
Anyone given any thought to using a Limbach engine?

Yeah, they're expensive, but they're built properly and
they seem to hold together in difficult service - blimps
and the like operated comercially. The "big" non-turbo
engine puts out good power at relatively low rpm - no
dumb reduction drive on the nose to fail.

And yes, it's maybe 50 lbs heavier than the Rotax.
Composite props work, too.

No

Sorry, but why? :confused: Thousands of Lyc-powered RVs are flying all over the world. Do you wanna tinker or fly? Sorry but I don't see another better way to go,
Regards,

LOL Bill, you're always looking for a different engine.

It just amuses the heck out of me when people suggest alternative motors for the RV-12. The aircraft hasn't even flown yet, and people want to change it.

The airframe has been designed around the Rotax. The whole point of sport aircraft is to make them:

1. Simple to assemble
2. Economical

Changing the engine not only contradicts 1 & 2 above, but there may be (most likely will be) a negative impact on the overall performance of the aircraft. By overall performance, I am not referring to cruise speed alone, but handling, weight & balance, stall speed and service life.

I've made this suggestion in the past; lets see how the proof-of-concept aircraft flys before we criticize it performance. I'm not saying that another engine wont work...I just think we ought to see how the POC aircraft flys before we judge it.

Van has made a wise choice in the Rotax engine, it's operating characteristics are well known, it is reliable, powerful and light weight.

Huh...

pierre smith said:
Sorry, but why? :confused: Thousands of Lyc-powered RVs are flying all over the world. Do you wanna tinker or fly? Sorry but I don't see another better way to go,
Regards,

Didn't I just see you "what-abouting" the SMA engine?

Back