What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Judge the boroscope pictures of an inactive Lycoming

jdelpeso

Hi,
Attached are some pics of a O-360 bought new some years ago
and never used.
Waiting for an advise of what to do next

Thanks.

Jose del Peso
RV8 80981 in Spain
RV12 in Colorado KFLY

boros 1.jpg

boros 6.jpg

boros 2.jpg

boros 3.jpg

boros 4.jpg

boros 5.jpg

Fog the cylinders, prime the oil system, and run it hard to break it in.
There is nothing wrong with these photos. If there is a problem with your cam, you won't know it until it runs for a while. Running it will not hurt anything.
Perform oil analysis at 25 hour intervals for the first 100 hours, then at every annual or oil change. If the cam is corroded, it will start to show up in your oil analysis. If nothing shows up, you are good to go...

O360 engine

Send the Borescope pics and some history of the engine to Mike Busch at Savvy Aviation, he’s a real expert on advice..

Chris RV4 #4633 1212R
Festus, O.

A RV8 in my hangar had a Superior motor that sat for 12 years brand new from the factory. I don’t know the exact storage details after the engine was shipped but it did not work out well. Just reinstalled after a complete rebuild. Lots of corrosion everywhere.

Engine storage

OK!!! I have a similar situation. An 0-360 narrow deck engine that has set for 25+ years. Partially next to a furnace for 12 years and the rest in my dry shop. Spark plugs are all out and engine is not full of oil. But my shop is insulated and dry. And it was run for 4.1 hours in testing.
A way to see the cam is to pull the sump and stuff a borescope up through the case crack in the bottom.
I thought the stick Vivida scope would be to big to get into the crack so bought the bendy $500.00 one, Before I even took the sump off.
As luck would have it, I didn't need the high dollar scope.
After I removed the sump I was able to get the $200.00 Vivida up to the cam and see three of the lobes on the cam
That will give you a pretty good idea as to the rust-no-rust on the cam situation. If it's rusty, your screwed.
Yes, I realize you can only see one end of the engine and not the face of the lifters, But what's the alternative???? Tear the engine down??
Ain't gonna happen in my case. The engine is still hanging on an engine stand.
I intend to turn it upside down and pour oil in enough to cover the cam. Before I re-install it on the plane. That I hope to get done with some day.
My luck varies Fixit

Back