What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is EX ETX 680 a direct fit for a PC 680 battery

david.perl

Well Known Member
Good morning, every couple of years my PC 680 Odyssey battery seems to need replacing especially in the cold UK winters. I’ve been looking at the EXETX 680 and wonder whether it would just drop straight into the battery box that I fitted for the Odyssey battery?

I note that the terminal come out in the centre of the ETX battery whereas they come out to one side of the Odyssey battery is this an issue?

Installed a -900 on my plane a few weeks ago and it was a slide-in replacement. Had to modify (make a new one, actually) the hold down bar since the posts are in different location, as you noted. it was harder to get the Odyssey out than anything else :)

Hold down bar

Installed a -900 on my plane a few weeks ago and it was a slide-in replacement. Had to modify (make a new one, actually) the hold down bar since the posts are in different location, as you noted. it was harder to get the Odyssey out than anything else :)

I would like to see a picture of how you did your hold down bar.

I have thought about putting a -900 in my plane the next time I need a battery but I haven’t been able to visualize a good re-do of the hold down bar

I don't have a pic handy but if you take the original bar and just carve out two half moons where the posts are ...it'll clear everything and still keep the battery down.

Earth X battery sizes

Keep in mind the 680, 900 and 1200 all share the same case measurements.

Did NOT fit old tray

A recently purchased ETX680 was about 1mm too thick to fit the battery tray in my 2008 RV-9A. Had to install EarthX's BB-MU battery box.

A recently purchased ETX680 was about 1mm too thick to fit the battery tray in my 2008 RV-9A. Had to install EarthX's BB-MU battery box.

Did it come directly from EarthX?

They are producing them now a few mm thinner and the fit is much better for the PC680 boxes.

I just installed an ETX680 in my 2008 RV7 last week and it did fit the original box. As others have said you will either need to use the EarthX terminal extensions or remake your hold down bar. The battery came directly from EarthX. The ETX680C will not fit.

Thanks,

Joe

Purchased an ETX680 10 months ago, went to check the charge last week prior to installation and Zero volts, and battery would not accept a charge. Battery replaced next day under warranty.
Excellent Customer Service!
BTW, the ETX 680 was a very tight fit in Van's PC680 box which I widened by 1/4".

Last edited:
The ETX680 that didn't fit my battery tray was shipped 11/13/2023 from ACS. I didn't look to see if it was marked with a manufacturing date.

Back