What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument Pilot Requirements

PilotjohnS

Well Known Member
I completed my RV9A last year and am interested in finishing my IFR rating. I took my written 10:years ago. I was thinking I need to retake my written, but my latest read of the FARs no longer state the two year restriction.

So my question: If I passed my IFR written more than two years ago, do I need to retake the written to apply for a IFR rating?

I completed my RV9A last year and am interested in finishing my IFR rating. I took my written 10:years ago. I was thinking I need to retake my written, but my latest read of the FARs no longer state the two year restriction.

So my question: If I passed my IFR written more than two years ago, do I need to retake the written to apply for a IFR rating?
My understanding is that it is two-years according to CFR 61.39 so the written must be taken again. Someone that knows the regulations better than me may be able to point to something I am not familiar with.

Fairly certain the answer is still "Yes". Even if it weren't required, there have been substantial changes over the last decade and you will be expected to know the current information.

My understanding is that it is two-years according to CFR 61.39 so the written must be taken again. Someone that knows the regulations better than me may be able to point to something I am not familiar with.
That is correct. Knowledge test results are valid for check ride purposes for 24 months, with the exception being for some ATP related stuff.

The Airman Certification Standards (replaces the old Practical Test Standards) appendix 3 spells out all the requirements w/r/t the written exam. Bottom line is that the written is only good for 24 calendar months.

The Airman Certification Standards (replaces the old Practical Test Standards) appendix 3 spells out all the requirements w/r/t the written exam. Bottom line is that the written is only good for 24 calendar months.
I was able to find that reference in the 2018 revision but NOT in the 2023 revision.

I was able to find that reference in the 2018 revision but NOT in the 2023 revision.
Exactly. I had heard it was under discussion to be changed during COVID. I can no longer find the 24 month reference in the latest on line documentation from FAA.

Any IFR DARs out there who can chime in?

Fairly certain the answer is still "Yes". Even if it weren't required, there have been substantial changes over the last decade and you will be expected to know the current information.
I can't find any changes in my study materials. Can you give me a general sense of what subjects have been changed/updated?

Well you got me beat, I wasn't even aware of the 2023 revision. I rely on Foreflight docs to keep my stuff up to date, but they dropped the ball on this one. I found it on the FAA website. They did remove the appendix 3 stuff in the 2023 revision, but even that one refers back to 61.39 which specifies 24 months. So I stand by the 24 months answer, until somebody can show otherwise.

I'm unable to find a 2023 version of the Airmen Certification Standards. I did find a 2024 printing with the effective date of 2018.

Where should I be looking?

PilotJohnS: Get the IFR ShepardAir course and retake the test. And, get a good score, which will mean the DPE has less items to beat you up during your Oral. Finally, good for you for pursuing your IFR rating, which IMO will make you a much better pilot.

PilotJohnS: Get the IFR ShepardAir course and retake the test. And, get a good score, which will mean the DPE has less items to beat you up during your Oral. Finally, good for you for pursuing your IFR rating, which IMO will make you a much better pilot.
Good tip. It is cheap and seems to be a good course. Thanks for the info.

Back