What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instructive Video on Flying Into Oshkosh

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Steve Thorne, aka Flightchops, has a great video about flying into Oshkosh in his gorgeous RV-14. Particularly valuable are the many quotable quotes from Fred Stadler, who has been the EAA point man on the NOTAM for 30 years. To quote the video, practice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GYbmAQqV0w

(I hope I'm not breaking any VAF rules by posting this...)

Ed, great video, thanks for posting.

Some approaches are more challenging than others. In particular, this video underscores the challenges associated with landing on 18R which requires a midfield downwind continuous turn to final very close to the ground.

You don't want to do this for the first time at KOSH, when it's hot, you're heavy, tired, and the adrenalin is pumping.

Stay safe, time to go practice!

Last edited:
Scary base to final on 18R OSH.

Some approaches are more challenging than others. In particular, this video underscores the challenges associated with landing on 18 which requires a midfield downwind continuous turn to final very close to the ground. You don't want to do this for the first time at KOSH, when it's hot, your heavy, tired, and the adrenalin is pumping.
Stay safe, time to go practice!

EAA/Vintage has been working with FAA to try and lessen the scary 18R approach. Working Vintage, we get to see all of those approaches and sometimes I just have to turn away and not look! :eek: To help mitigate that, there is a plan in place that should be implimented this year to have the 18R arrivals land further down the runway (the color of the Dots will be in the NOTAM......) and exit the runway past the Papa 5 intersection, (the last intersection that leads to a paved taxiway; look at a Google map or your EFB picture of the runway). Landing further South on the runway will allow rolling onto the overrun past the "numbers" to exit onto a mowed, rolled "taxiway" (which we have lovingly named Papa 6) leading off the overrun. That will lead them to the grass Papa taxiway South of the ILS tower, which is a North/South taxiway. This change will be new this year and, hopefully, take the pucker factor out of the 18R equation. ;)

Most GAC/GAP airplanes using this will likely be parked in the South 40 of GAC/GAP unless flow is such we can get them to the North 40 if they prefer. Custom (homebuilt), IAC, Warbirds, display, etc will be ushered North on "The Ditch" (grass) taxiway to their parking areas unless flow is such we can use the paved Papa taxiway (LongEZ, others). The "Ditch" is well-maintained (especially this year: hard packed clay!) and RVs should have no problems using it. Make sure you have your HBP/HBC signs already printed and handy to help us get you where you need to be! And, yes: PRACTICE!

IT IS SOON! Looking forward to being there! Wave as you taxi past us in Vintage!

Antique Denver; Chairman: Flight Line Safety Vintage

Last edited:
OSH approaches

Steve Thorne, aka Flightchops, has a great video about flying into Oshkosh in his gorgeous RV-14. Particularly valuable are the many quotable quotes from Fred Stadler, who has been the EAA point man on the NOTAM for 30 years. To quote the video, practice!

Great video! For several reasons: this is what you will hear on the radio and what you will see as you approach the field. These videos seemed to be done when it was not that busy. I recognized the number of airplanes we had at Vintage!

Suggestions from what I saw:

1) Trim down your NOTAM. You do not need ALL the pages! Figure out the ones you need (approach if you are, well, approaching) and have them on your knee board in order of what you think you might need, ie what runways do you have the potential to be landing. Since you will have been monitoring the approach frequencies, you will know what runways are in use; get those pages ready. You don't need the departure pages yet! If you printed it at home, you don't need to be mangling 8X11 sheets of paper in your Front Office. Trim them down to a handy size that fits on your kneeboard. If you have the printed version: same thing. Take the thing apart and put them in order of what you are going to need. I have all the runways color-coded (I know: OCD!) and a larger printout of the frequencies so I don't have to search around for them on the page.
2) That is what that low-level turn onto 18R looks like! :eek::eek::eek: If you are not used to turning that close to the ground, go practice but DO NOT EXCEED YOUR PERSONAL LIMITS! Practice those at altitude first, then closer to the ground. Hopefully, the new extended landing procedure on 18R will help eliminate that low-altitude turn or, at least, make it safer.
3) If you are not used to RIGHT traffic, go somewhere and practice that.
4) Practice (did I mention that?); be prepared for ANYthing! If it doesn't look good: GO AROUND, like Fred says! You will be put back in the pattern. Follow the controller's instructions.
5) HAVE FUN! This only happens once a year!

See you there!

Antique Denver; Vintage Chairman: Flight Line Safety

4) Practice (did I mention that?); be prepared for ANYthing! If it doesn't look good: GO AROUND, like Fred says! You will be put back in the pattern. Follow the controller's instructions.
Theoretically, and perhaps most of the time, it works this way; go around and the controller resequences you into the pattern. But, goofs can happen; in ‘21 I flew a C-47 in via the warbird arrival and was aiming for 36R. We were a few miles south when I heard the controller say “Cessna on 36R, go around”… and that was it; no new sequence, the controller forgot about him. So what did the Cessna do? He flew right traffic to come around again for 36R… as we were on fairly short final, the dude turned final right in front of us, no way he looked left out the window to see a big ol’ green C-47. So we chimed in “hey tower, DC-3 on short final 36R, just got cut off, what next?” I could almost hear the controller gulp and look to the 36L final, which was clear. “Sidestep and cleared to land 36L”. It got my adrenaline up just a wee bit! So yeah, be ready for anything.

My momma always said...

Attachments

• Landing.jpg
    Landing.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 61
Back