What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Info Needed on Phase1 Task Based Testing

PhatRV

Well Known Member
I am looking for information on the flight test procedures for the new FAA Task Based in Phase 1.

I bought the test plan from EAA a few years ago and the test cards are still for the 40 hours minimum. I looked in the EAA website and it still has the original test cards. I attended the webinar a few months back but there isn't a new product listed on EAA

Thanks

I think the task based phase 1 is the same actual content - just work through the cards and instead of hitting a magic 40 hours, you hit the end of the tests.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though!!

The test card package (EAAFlight Test Manual) does not specify hours - just tasks. Fly all the test cards, and when you’re done, you have finished a Task Based Test Program, regardles of if it takes you 20, 30, 40, or 50 hours. Just be honest - if you don’t do a test card well, repeat it!

My experience flying the program is that it takes between 30 and 40 hours for an airplane like an RV - just depends on how precise you fly, and how efficient you are.

Paul

I don’t find a forum covering this topic of Task Based Testing or Phase 1 in general at Airventure this year in the app. I’d like to hear about it in more detail and then have an opportunity to ask some questions at the end. Was my search bad, is it being covered somewhere? Shame…

Limitation's

Just remember, before you can use the task based flight program it has to be in your operating limitations. Here is the new wording for limitation # (42)

"No person may operate this aircraft for other than the purpose of meeting the requirements of § 91.319(b). The pilot in command must comply with
§ 91.305 at all times. This aircraft is to be operated under VMC, day only. Unless operating in accordance with the task-based flight test program
described in Advisory Circular (AC) 90-89C, Amateur-Built Aircraft and Ultralight Flight Testing Handbook, chapter 2, section 1, during Phase 1 flight
testing, this aircraft must be operated for at least 40 hours with at least 10 takeoffs and landings in this geographical area:"

I think the task based phase 1 is the same actual content - just work through the cards and instead of hitting a magic 40 hours, you hit the end of the tests.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though!!

I was told from the webinar that there will be a new EAA Flight Test Manual that contains the new flight test cards that simplify some of the flight testing.

Engine new?

I just completed my 40 hours. I did not do the task based flight testing. I did do everything in the AC flight test guide that was appropriate, and determine the plane was safe to operate, but I spent the first ten hours breaking in the engine. Even then, the engine still seems to be getting more powerful each flight. In addition, I chose the order of my testing based on the AC guidance but to my best effect. For example, i got the AoA and auto pilot working early, got all the maintenance issues done early; at least the ones I could do in the field. Some issues, like needing extra cooling for extended climbs, I waited till I got back to my home base. Having to flight test away from home base really made things difficult and the task based approach would have been a burden. JMHO

Last edited:
I was told from the webinar that there will be a new EAA Flight Test Manual that contains the new flight test cards that simplify some of the flight testing.

There is a revision of the Flight Test Manual in work - I’ve been using some of the modified cards in the testing of our latest aircraft to check them out. The update incorporates lessons learned from the several years that the original version has been out there, but the changes are essentially independent of the Task Based option - they complement it, and make the whole test program better, but the incorporation of Task Based was not the driver for the changes.

Bottom line - Task Based Phase 1 was not created to shorten Phase 1 (although for some, it certainly will) - it was created to encourage having better tested (and as important, better documented) airplanes.

Paul

There is a revision of the Flight Test Manual in work - I’ve been using some of the modified cards in the testing of our latest aircraft to check them out. The update incorporates lessons learned from the several years that the original version has been out there, but the changes are essentially independent of the Task Based option - they complement it, and make the whole test program better, but the incorporation of Task Based was not the driver for the changes.

Bottom line - Task Based Phase 1 was not created to shorten Phase 1 (although for some, it certainly will) - it was created to encourage having better tested (and as important, better documented) airplanes.

Paul

Is this still the 'old' test cards or has this talked about update finally been completed and is that what this EAA link reflects? I think it's still the old one. If the newer version is available somewhere can someone please post the link to it?

TIA,
Lucky

Is this still the 'old' test cards or has this talked about update finally been completed and is that what this EAA link reflects? I think it's still the old one. If the newer version is available somewhere can someone please post the link to it?

TIA,
Lucky
I can't answer whether the update to the EAA flight test manual has been published but the flight test plan in the FAA's advisory circular, AC90-89C, is also an accepted program for task based flight testing.

TIA,
Lucky
I called toward the end of last year and only the old EAA test manual was on sale. I am using the old test manual to plan my test program. There are some old information on it that can be laborious but using your modern EFIS and Foreflight will speed up the data collection instead of recording the flight parameters by hand every 30 seconds.

I have a relatively reliable grapevine, and have yet to hear that the revision has been completed….but then I live out on the old Pony Express route, and news can sometimes be delayed…..

It’s home builders week at EAA and use code CELEBRATE for an extra 20% off on top of EAA membership 10% discount. With shipping, it was $27.99.

A close look at the Test Cards in the image on the EAA web store shows version 1.1. Paul, are we expecting v2.0?

Back