What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Important" engine options?

Highflight

Well Known Member
Guys,
I'm looking really seriously at the TMX 360 for my RV7, but I'm curious to see if any people who have added the following options to their engines (whether from Mattituck or elsewhere) want to comment on them and if they are considered important.

1. Precision Balancing at $1000.
What exactly is balanced, and what should I expect that option to "do for me"?
If it's so worthwhile, why wouldn't it be done as part of the standard engine and simply included in the base cost?
Without this option, how does the TMX engine compare with, say, the Lycoming.. or Superior, and how "precisely" they are balanced as their basic models?
Am I going to see improved (less) vibration in the overall running of the engine?
Or is it just a nice thing to do but not really that important if the "standard" balancing is done well? Is there a situation (such as using a particular prop) where it would considered to be necessary but then not necessary with some different configuration?
Bottom line is: would I regret NOT spending the money on balancing?

2. Port Flow Match at $1000.
This sounds sort of self explanatory and I would imagine that this option would help to balance all 4 cylinder temp readings much closer to each other (by equalizing fuel and/or air flow of the cylinders to each other?) which would obviously be a good thing.
But again, what are the other issues involved? Engine life? Protecting (what would have been the hot cylinder) from cracking or being heat damaged? Overall power benefit? Better economy through more aggressive (but safer) leaning? Those kinds of things.

3. Emag/Pmag.
I've looked at the Emags and have to admit that I'm really sold on them. Does anyone have an opinion one way or another in comparison the advantages or disadvantages from the Emags to other EI systems?
From what I understand, hardly any of them are flying yet, but the design appears to be a win/win design for EI all the way around.

Thanks,
Vern
RV7-A

Port, polish and flow match

Hi Vern, On most of the ECI 360 engines I build we have the cylinders port and polished then the valves get a 5 angle grind and then flow matched. On the last 8 cylinders I had done we gained 5.37 hp per cylinder. They were all done at the same time and the same base line was used for all 8 cylinders. The ECI engine on my RV 6 that I flew for the first time July 2004 had the same work done on the cylinders and I can tell the difference over the first RV I built 3 years ago.
Robbie
www.attawayair.com

EMag

Also, I am sold on the EMag PMag set up from what Brad has told me about it. It sure seems a lot more simple and easy to install than other EIs I have seen. I used the Lightspeed on my last RV6. It works good so far but sure took a lot of time for me to figure it out. I am shipping 2 new ECI engines this month and they both have the EMag PMag set up.
Good Luck, Robbie
www.attawayair.com

Vern,
I am glad to see you are considering one of our engines, I work for Mattituck and am happy to answer your questions.
Precision Balance:
The standard engine has a dynamically balanced crankshaft and all other reciprocation components are static balanced within two grams across bays. This is exceptional balance for an engine that only turns 2700 rpm max. To the best of my knowledge, this is better then what you would get in a new engine from Lycoming. The precision balance option takes the reciprocating balance of the engine, one step further, and makes it as close to perfect as we can make it. Everything is balanced almost perfectly to excruciating tolerances. This is accomplished by parts substitution and not removing or adding weight to individual components. The process is an option as is for those discriminating customers that want the very, very best in engine balance. It is not an option that the average customer should consider or needs.
Port flow match, Combustion equalization:
The port flow match, and combustion equalization process is a process that we use to correct for all tolerance irregularities between combustion chambers. Each cylinder's combustion chamber is corrected for crankcase deck height, cylinder head height, connecting rod journal and pin end tolerance valve lift irregularities, port irregularities and combustion chamber irregularities etc. The end objective is to make all combustion chambers the exact same size with the exact same airflow capability. What this produces is extremely even power pulse from each cylinder on the engine and it results in a very smooth running engine. The objective of this process is not to increase power output (although it often gets that result) but to make the smoothest running engine possible. The results of this process are dramatic and extremely noticeable to the pilot/ passengers of an aircraft equipped with an engine that has had it done. Again this process is accomplished by substituting parts and not by removing or adding mass to components. It is again taking a standard engine, to the next level from a combustion chamber standpoint. It isn?t for everyone but is available to those that want the very best we can provide.
Emag/ Pmag:
The Emag,Pmag question is kind of a personal question as I don't believe there is enough data available on flying systems to tell us one way or the other if it will be a successful system. If you are a beta test kind of guy ..go for it, If not, if it were me, I would wait a while before jumping on the band wagon.
Please feel free to all me if you need further explanation about any of the options we offer on the TMX engine or for answers to any questions you might have.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Back