What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icom A220 lost comms, Airport Interference?

HotRod6A

I recently relocated my RV6A to OCF/Ocala International and the first time taking off from location I had what it seem to be radio interference taxing to the end of the runway prior to take off. Before taxing ATIS and ground coms was perfect. During taxi and as I neared the end of the taxiway prior to the runway I could tell the radio while listening to other pilots communication with ground was diminishing. I was able to use my handheld radio to let ground know that I was aborting take off to troubleshoot my only primary radio and then proceeded to taxi back to the hanger and about the same distance I noticed the initial degrade of communication is came back and was able to speak to ground clearly all the way back to the hanger. I later took off from a different runway (opposite end of field where I had the comms issue) and had zero issues for remainder of the day.

Anybody have any reported instances similar and corrective action to mitigate this issue? antenna relocation?

Ground did mention that other pilots have reported on occasion this phenomenon

I recently relocated my RV6A to OCF/Ocala International and the first time taking off from location I had what it seem to be radio interference taxing to the end of the runway prior to take off. Before taxing ATIS and ground coms was perfect. During taxi and as I neared the end of the taxiway prior to the runway I could tell the radio while listening to other pilots communication with ground was diminishing. I was able to use my handheld radio to let ground know that I was aborting take off to troubleshoot my only primary radio and then proceeded to taxi back to the hanger and about the same distance I noticed the initial degrade of communication is came back and was able to speak to ground clearly all the way back to the hanger. I later took off from a different runway (opposite end of field where I had the comms issue) and had zero issues for remainder of the day.

Anybody have any reported instances similar and corrective action to mitigate this issue? antenna relocation?

Is your com antenna top or bottom? It is not unheard of for a bottom antenna to have trouble on the ground - sometimes due to rebar in the concrete. Sometimes just swinging the nose 45 deg fixes the issue.

Had similar issues with belly antenna & end of runway being in a slight depression (poor line of sight to tower antenna)

Fly into OCF a bunch and never experienced that. Belly antenna with a Icom a200. Are you on 18 or 36 side?

Back