What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How long from receiving new Lycoming engine until first flight?

BenNabors

Well Known Member
I have located a new Lycoming engine that was prepared for storage by Lycoming when new, sold by Vans, stored in a heated and cooled space for 15 years, and then uncontrolled for the past year. Trying to access risk, is it good to fly or does it need a teardown for inspection.
I may make this a poll for people to vote on if I can figure out how to do this on the new website.
How long have you gone between engine arrival and first flight?

Lycoming says that their preservation is good for 1 year if still sealed in the packaging and the humidity detector isn't showing moisture. Beyond that, you are on your own. A teardown probably isn't necessary to check however. A good borescoping of the cylinders and inside the crankcase could show corrosion or its absence.

I have located a new Lycoming engine that was prepared for storage by Lycoming when new, sold by Vans, stored in a heated and cooled space for 15 years, and then uncontrolled for the past year. Trying to access risk, is it good to fly or does it need a teardown for inspection.
I may make this a poll for people to vote on if I can figure out how to do this on the new website.
How long have you gone between engine arrival and first flight?
FWIW: I asked this of Chris at Lycoming some time ago. He went through all scenarios, except climate controlled. When prompted, he said they would last decades if stored in climater controlled space.

Having said that, I'd recommend having it inspected since it's been an entire year in an uncontrolled space.

Best of luck!
Mike

FYI

I bought a rebuilt (by Aerosport) engine that had been pickled and had sat in a hangar for 19 years.

A neighbor who is an a/p and I pulled the cylinders and had a good look at the innards----all fine.

New gaskets, O rings, pushrod seals etc used at reassembly and all good to go.

85 or so hours now, all good no leaks and good compression.

A few years back, a forum regular said that he was able to inspect the cam without pulling a cylinder by removing just the front plug and going through the hole in the hollow crank.
(whew, all in one breathe)

just the front plug and going through the hole in the hollow crank
yes this works.
Many threads here on VAF about different procedures without the risky pull cylinders ops, oil pan, rear insertion, etc. Going thru a hollow crank is IMHO the easiest and works very good.

A few years back, a forum regular said that he was able to inspect the cam without pulling a cylinder by removing just the front plug and going through the hole in the hollow crank.
(whew, all in one breathe)
Yes and you can remove the sump and see the front cam lobes. BUT I personally would have no problem after inspection of firing it up.
I have an 0-360 that had been overhauled, installed on an T-18 for 4.1 hours of taxiing around trying to get it to run right.
Oh by the way that was 25 years ago. And I plan on closing it up, flooding it with oil to get the cam wet, and firing it up. It was stored next to the guys furnace for 13 years and in my own dry shop for the remainder of the time.
Unless you live in Florida or some other damp area I don't believe you will have any problem. Of course Alabama may be rather moist.
But you could just sell me the engine and solve the question ha ha
My luck varies Fixit

I just picked up an IO-540 with 270 hours since new…but has been pickled for 22 years. I was able to peak inside at the Cam (through the dipstick hole) and it looked great - but all those rubber seals and parts are getting pretty long in the tooth, so I plan to buy a gasket set and take care of pushrod seals. I will also probably replace the fuel pump - those rubber diaphragms can get stiff and crack, and Lycoming recommends 12 years between overhauls for reasons like that….

All and all, very cheap to do this stuff compared to the price of an entire engine!

Back