What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

how long for oil to drip back into sump after flight?

prkaye

Well Known Member
In your experience, how long does it take after a flight for the oil to collect back in the sump so that you can get an accurate dip?

In your experience, how long does it take after a flight for the oil to collect back in the sump so that you can get an accurate dip?

12-24 hours in my experience. DIfference is usually only 1/4 qt. or less

DIfference is usually only 1/4 qt. or less
Do you mean the difference between a dip at 12 hours and a dip at 24 hours, or do you mean the difference between a dip shortly after the flight and another dip 12-24 hours later?

I see 0.2 - 0.3 more if I measure it a week after versus a day after a flight. Beyond that the difference is negligible.

I guess what i'm most interested in is roughly how long immediately after a flight before the sump level is back up to say 90% (or say 1/4 qt) of stable level? 1 hour? 2 hour? 6 hours? 12?

Last edited:
I guess what i'm most interested in is roughly how long immediately after a flight before the sump level is back up to say 90% (or say 1/4 qt) of stable level? 1 hour? 2 hour? 6 hours? 12?

I think within minutes. However, one problem is the oil in the dipstick tube smearing/interfering with getting the stick out untouched. The other, larger problem is that the hot oil does not leave a nice sharp line like cold oil.

A few minutes after shut down you will have an accurate oil level, you may need to clean the dip stick to read it accurately.

My experience. Newer IO360 M1B. Constant speed prop. Tail dragger
Oil level after shutdown hot 5.8 Q
After 5 hours warm 5.8Q
After 24 hours cold 6.0Q
Very repeatable

Very Similar to Larry’s Estimate

Last edited:
Back