What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help: garmin GNC255 database: feature unlock failure

MS19087

Well Known Member
Very frustrated despite 5 calls into Garmin support i continue to get this failure. Every call i get a different resolution from them which never works. Has anyone experienced this issue and resolved it?

SD card is 4GB which they suggest; system ID is correct. Ugh.

Thanks

Yup

I got this failure last night. And I remember I had it last year too.

Two things I am going to try this week:
*Make sure I am using the correct Garmin fly account when I download the software
* Use a different memory stick

If any one has solved this problem, please speak up.

The GNC255 has a "Database info page". This is used for the COM frequencies
and the cycle is valid for 28 days if I remember it correctly.
It allso has a "Display software version" and a "COM software version".

The text in the display may misslead you.
Be sure you are in the right menue.

You should see the "INSTALLED CYCLE" and ON DRIVE CYCLE in the display.
If you are in the wrong menue, there will be a fail message if you try to install.

NB: in order to download from Garmin web site you need the radio serial number if I remember it correctly.

Good luck

Attachments

• GNC 255A_255B PG.book.pdf
    81.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Looks Like I found my Problem

NB: in order to download from Garmin web site you need the radio serial number if I remember it correctly.

Good luck

It seems I have two different GNC255 listed on FLYGARMIN.com.. Of course, the one I bought the database for does not match the one I have installed in the airplane. Looks Like i will need to spend a few more dollars and buy the GNC255 database that matches the plane's radio.......

5/1/23 followup. I contacted Garmin and got the correct serial number for my GNC 255 on the equipment list, I redownloaded the software and tried to install it, but still have the same error message. I am going to try a new memory stick.

Last edited:
Resolution

So in the end, the error that prevented me from loading the newest GNC 255 database was a fault in the Flygarmin website. My unit id was missing the first 4 digits, so once the updated database was loaded in to my. GNC 255, it would not authenticate with the matching serial number. Once the proper and entire serial number was fixed on Flygarmin, everything uploaded properly.

Of course it wasnt that easy, it seems I have two flygarmin accounts, the helpful Garmin Support Staff fixed the account that I dont use. So being Saturday morning and Garmin support is closed, I ended up buying a redundant database update for some change.

My resolution

Needed to update the display software. Known issue apparently. Finally resolved.

Back