What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Water Source

Skid

Well Known Member
A few years ago I purchased a 50’X50’ hangar at KBUU. The airport is owned by the city so they own the land the hangar sits on which I lease from them at a very reasonable cost.

One of the issues is the ability to have water in the hangar for washing my hands, the airplane, etc. My lease explicitly states I am not to put in a well of any kind, not even a sand point, although some have.
I was at a friends hangar and saw what he did so I copied his idea, sort of, and came up with my own setup. There is also information available on the web.

The setup is a dehumidifier draining into a condensation pump which pumps the water into a blue barrel, some dehumidifier’s have internal pumps mine does not. The barrel also has an overflow line running outside, this eliminates the need to shutdown the dehumidifier if the barrel gets full. The water is then pumped from the barrel to a sink or hose on demand via an motor home type pump with a pressure switch.

I was able to get my setup put together this spring. Since I am in Wisconsin I couldn’t really see how fast the barrel would fill up until it warmed up a bit, but even with the hangar closed and the heat set to 50 deg. the barrel was collecting water, when it finally warmed up the barrel filled quickly. Rather than cut a hole in the hangar for the sink drain I put a bucket under the sink and empty it outside as needed.

The setup works flawlessly. I can now wash my hands, the airplane or whatever, and it’s distilled water, no water spots. It’s not potable but I have bottled water in the refrigerator for that.

I keep my hangar at 50 deg in the winter when I’m not there, the water in the barrel won’t freeze and I will still have water for hand washing. :D

Attachments

• IMG_3510.jpg
    IMG_3510.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 264
Awesome idea. I may try to do something similar.
If you wanted to eliminate the condensate pump you could build a shelf/platform for the dehumidifier above the barrel and just let it gravity feed. Might reduce a fail point.

Dehumidifier

A Columbia 400 was destroyed in a nearby T hangar when a dehumidifier started a fire in the hangar. Several models have been recalled and are known hazards. Check your out.

very clever setup. hard for me to justify $40/mo.

I heat the hangar and run the dehumidifier already so the only additional cost is the small amount of electricity to run the condensation pump and pressure pump, I leave the pressure pump unplugged when I am not at the hangar. I don’t want a 55 gal flood if the system sprung a leak.

Vern, I am aware of the dehumidifier recalls, this one is not effected, yet. The outlet is also a GFCI so it will trip easily.
I have an internet connection to the hangar and have a Nest T-stat to control the temp, and a camera to monitor the hangar interior.

This is a great solution, nice work. Just from a health and safety perspective, you could easily add a UV sanitizer to the barrel. Would help eliminate bacteria and possible algae.

This is a great solution, nice work. Just from a health and safety perspective, you could easily add a UV sanitizer to the barrel. Would help eliminate bacteria and possible algae.

I thought of using a UV solution like hikers use something similar but have not done anything in that regard yet. I have a UV light on our pool which does a good job killing most of the bacteria. Another solution I read about is a small amount of bleach to keep the algae at bay however as long as it’s in the dark the algae cannot grow, not a fan of adding bleach though. I have the unit sealed up good and the hangar is dark when I am not there so as of now I have not had an issue.

I just use hand cleaner and paper towels. Not ideal but it works good enough until I get to the nearest bathroom to wash my hands properly.

A Columbia 400 was destroyed in a nearby T hangar when a dehumidifier started a fire in the hangar. Several models have been recalled and are known hazards. Check your out.

I use a dehumidifier in my hangar that is almost 40-years old. My father purchased it new to use in his basement in Pennsylvania. I started using it 4-years ago in my hangar.

. The airport is owned by the city so they own the land the hangar sits on which I lease from them at a very reasonable cost.
:D

I am looking at building a hangar at my local airport owned by the county.
Care to share what is "reasonable cost" for land lease?

I am looking at building a hangar at my local airport owned by the county.
Care to share what is "reasonable cost" for land lease?

I would guess every municipality/county have different lease terms. Mine is ~9.5 cents/sq ft. which works out to about $237/yr on a 29 year lease, I have been paying personal property tax on the hangar. Personal property tax in Wisconsin was recently repealed, I am waiting to see how the; state, city, county will make up the shortfall.

I would guess every municipality/county have different lease terms. Mine is ~9.5 cents/sq ft. which works out to about $237/yr on a 29 year lease, I have been paying personal property tax on the hangar. Personal property tax in Wisconsin was recently repealed, I am waiting to see how the; state, city, county will make up the shortfall.

Sign me up. ORL wants $0.40 -0.60/sq.ft

By increasing the land lease rates

The taxes in this county last year went down significantly. The lease rates at 3t3 quadrupled after the airport renovations. I pay about the same per year. I would guess, though I don’t know, that there is a clause in your lease that allows for rate adjustments. If not, lucky you!

Back