What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar truss replacement

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
I own a 50 year old 50’ x 40’ hangar and the center truss needs replacing. The previous owner had two 10” x 10” posts installed to strengthen it mid span. Unfortunately the posts have blocked any parking positions other than one plane straight back (kinda like a t hangar now). I would love to replace this truss with a new one (or two or three) to restore the full opening of the building. Any ideas for companies that make these or fixes? Thanks

Congratulations on your award.
What airport are you at? I know a few contractors in the Cameron Park - Placerville area that may be able to help. PM me contact info.

My father built the O61 airport and FBO back in the 60's.

Rob,
Technology changed so much in 50 years.

Check out the laminated I beams and other building
Manufacturers to see if they can span that space with
No bracing

Boomer

This type of project would benefit (if not require) consultation with a Civil Engineer or Structural Architect.

Especially if you do not duplicate the existing situation and wish to replace it with multiple structural members.

That said, it's "doable." I've done this type of repair several times.

Got pictures?

Pics? Absolutely. Heres some old shots showing the situation. BTW, previous owners plane shown.

Attachments

• IMG_3468.jpg
    IMG_3468.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_3467.jpg
    IMG_3467.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 231
pictures flipped with added words

Attachments

• IMG_3467.jpeg
    IMG_3467.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_3468.jpeg
    IMG_3468.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 446
That certainly is an interesting design with only one main truss and 25' to end trusses (25' purloins).

A more common design is with 10' truss spacing, but that would require adding poles at the walls.

Truss height (roof slope) is everything.The higher in the center the less massive the trusses have to be. But changing that would require a new roof.

I think if it were my hangar I'd order three trusses from a truss company and add four poles or columns at the walls to support the two new trusses. The new center truss can be bolted to the existing center truss.

Finn
(I'm not a structural engineer)

Thanks guys, That’s what I’ve been thinking about doing too. Is this something that a local truss builder could engineer and build/deliver for me? Throwing up four more posts then setting up trusses sounds doable.

A local truss company could build you new ones easily enough. The tricky part will be installing them. They will be wider than the opening so they will have to go in on an angle. The existing look like they were built in place or at least on the site and they failed.

You will need an engineer to size them. I have worked with El Dorado Truss Company many times years ago and they are a good company. They would be worth calling and discussing what you have. They will be able to help you decide what way to go.

Good luck. Im still looking for someone to install or repair but after seeing the pictures, you most likely will have to add trusses, posts, and footings.

Thanks guys, That’s what I’ve been thinking about doing too. Is this something that a local truss builder could engineer and build/deliver for me? ...

Yes. They may not be too interested in designing and delivering only three trusses, but won't hurt to ask for a quote. They'll need span and slope measurements. If local, they should be familiar with snow/ice/wind loads as applicable.

Finn

What failed?

Good suggestions above, but, is that "heavy lifting" necessary

I fixed a truss with two 10" by 120" x1/8" plates, drilled in about a 1" grid.

Attached with Teeco Nails, which I pre-drilled the wood to avoid splitting the members I was "fixing"

Dont forget the potential for any needed additional footings for the new posts.

Looks like a pole barn. No footings, as the posts get “sunk” into native soil. This can be a bit tricky as most pole barn floors are poured using the bottom girt as the form. It would require concrete cutting so the new post hole can be augered in. Regardless, your point is well taken, you can’t just plop posts down on the slab and hope to maintain side loading requirements.

For what it is worth, pole barns have a typical life expectancy of around 50 years. If the posts don’t rot, you can double that life. I recently rebuilt an entire pole bldg, a few posts got replaced, new girts, some new pirlins, all new metal. It would have been cheaper to scrape it and build new.

I own a 50 year old 50’ x 40’ hangar and the center truss needs replacing. The previous owner had two 10” x 10” posts installed to strengthen it mid span. Unfortunately the posts have blocked any parking positions other than one plane straight back (kinda like a t hangar now). I would love to replace this truss with a new one (or two or three) to restore the full opening of the building. Any ideas for companies that make these or fixes? Thanks

Contact a structural engineer and have them inspect the truss first. The posts where added to support the existing truss from deflection and failure. This is a lightly loaded roof (only 26 ga panels - no insulation or tile loading) and if salvageable, an easier "fix" might be to have LVL members span the bottom chord or plywood gusset reinforcing added to both sides of the existing truss after lifting back level. This would essentially "box" in the truss. You'd get your open span back and no need for additional posts or footings.

Carlos H.
Gilbert Structural LLC

Last edited:
an easier "fix" might be to have LVL members span the bottom chord or plywood gusset reinforcing added to both sides of the existing truss after lifting back level. This would essentially "box" in the truss. You'd get your open span back and no need for additional posts or footings.

Carlos H.
Gilbert Structural LLC

Glad someone knowledgeable suggested this------I was thinking of something similar but just do not know enough to be sure it is a viable fix.

Vertical mounted 3/4" plywood as a sheer diaphragm can support an amazing load. Case in point-----TJI style floor joists, and they are only 3/8" or so sheer web.

Back