What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN650Xi Pressure Altitude source error

Dave S

I have a G3X system, GTN 650 with GTX 34R.

My 650 is showing 'DATA SOURCE Pressure Altitude Source inoperative or connection to GTX is lost'

I'm thinking that it is one of my configuration settings, however, I'm having trouble figuring out through which port, the GTN is getting the Pressure Altitude system and from where.

I see in the past that this could have been a nuisance message, but I'm running the latests software.

The GSU25 send pressure altitude info to the GTX45R.
According to the GTN 650 manual it is expecting the pressure altitude from a RS-232 port, but which one and from where, the GSU25 through the GDU460? The only connection between the GTX45R and the GTN650 is the ethernet connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

For this type of troubleshooting it's vital to detail how your various devices are interconnected, and what the software configuration of each port is...

For this type of troubleshooting it's vital to detail how your various devices are interconnected, and what the software configuration of each port is...

Understanding all that, I had SteinAir give me a wiring diagram which is what I used. From what I have seen in the G3X manual it seems to follow that given my specific components.

I was hoping to figure out which device the GTN650 is expecting to get the pressure altitude source from, so that I could narrow down how the 2 are connected and then I can look at the software configuration for the specific port(s). If it normally expects data from device ABC either directly or through device xyz, through an RS port, or ARINC then I can check that connection and the software configuration of the possible ports.

The entire set up has over a dozen devices and with all the interconnections, thats a lot of possibilities and ports to check for softer configuration.

dual GDU 460
GTN 650 XI
GAP 26
GMU 11
GAD 29
GEA 24
GTX 45R
GTR 20
GMC 507 w/2 axis GSU 28
GMA 245
G5

At least document the wiring and software configuration for everything related to the interconnection between your G3X system and your GTN 650... there are really no shortcuts here.

GSU25>CAN BUS>GAD29>429 AIR DATA>GTN
429 settings can be found on the interface diagrams in the G3X installation manual.

Last edited:
Pressure Altitude Source

Understanding all that, I had SteinAir give me a wiring diagram which is what I used. From what I have seen in the G3X manual it seems to follow that given my specific components.

I was hoping to figure out which device the GTN650 is expecting to get the pressure altitude source from, so that I could narrow down how the 2 are connected and then I can look at the software configuration for the specific port(s). If it normally expects data from device ABC either directly or through device xyz, through an RS port, or ARINC then I can check that connection and the software configuration of the possible ports.

The entire set up has over a dozen devices and with all the interconnections, thats a lot of possibilities and ports to check for softer configuration.

dual GDU 460
GTN 650 XI
GAP 26
GMU 11
GAD 29
GEA 24
GTX 45R
GTR 20
GMC 507 w/2 axis GSU 28
GMA 245
G5

Good Morning,

Like Walt mentioned, the 429 path from the GDU > GAD 29 > GTN is typically how the GTN would receive pressure altitude information. There are other possibilities though. If it would be helpful, you can send your drawing from Stein to us at [email protected] and we can take a look at it for you to help sort it out.

Is this a problem that recently developed, or has the message been present since initial installation?

Thanks,

Justin

Thank you all for the help thus far. I have this document which I think covers all the connections and the settings.

This is a new install, where I did the wiring, and connections, and configurations. The aircraft has had 2 flights, so as I break in the engine, run through the EAA Flight Test Manual, I am trying to configure the avionics appropriately as well.

The CAN Bus is not connected in the order depicted, but all components state they are connected.

Attachments

• Dave Swanson Avionics Interconnect.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Change the 650Xi ARINC 429 In 1 to [Low] [GDU Format 2]
Change G3X ARINC 429 Out 1 to [Nav 1] [EFIS/Airdata Format 2]

This assumes 650Xi firmware version 20.33, G3X firmware version 9.31.

Check the health of the HSDB interface -- boot up the 650xi into configuration mode, then select Diagnostics, then HSDB (Ethernet)

Ensure that the interfaced equipment pages on the GTN 650xi are configured correctly.
Ensure that the G3X System Information page reflects the various devices and their configurations correctly.

Last edited:
Brain,

That was a quick response, and more importantly that seems to have fixed my issue. I will verify next time I fly but a quick push of the aircraft out of the hangar and into open skies, the message does not seem to appear.

Thank you!

software is 20.32, and 9.31. Diagnostics show 'connected', 'receiving' and 'onine'

Last edited:
Back